Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protests at Micheal McDowell on Friday

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

RealJohn wrote:
    Is that supposed to be a joke? Are you honestly saying that you think gender is a social construct?
    Gender is defined as a social construct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd just love to know why they were waving copies of the constitution at the Minister ? It's not a particularly homophobic document and doesn't contain any references to anything that would undermine gay marriage.

In fact, depending on how you interept it, it could actually give protection to a same sex partnership based family. It doesn't define what a family is, it just makes a lot of reference to how important it is.

It also lays down a LOT of basic human rights protections.

Given the era in which it was written and the atmosphere at the time, it's quite a liberal and forward-thinking document in many ways. It manages to be quite liberal, yet still uses language that appealed to the conservatives of the time. Very well written!

Personally, I find it quite offensive to use the constitution or the flag in such a way. They're symbols of democracy, freedom etc and I would hate to see them grabbed by the conservative ultra right types as has happened in the UK, France etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

What on earth happened to REAL Moral Outrage in the 00s? This is disgusting. They were not only utilising hate speech(why do we keep pretending we can't tell the difference between expressing an opinion and rallying people against a minority, which is one step away from incitement to violence?), they sunk to violence. They should have been arrested. I can't believe some people are actually trying to defend them.

People keep writing off people who actually DO anything or express their opinions as "extremists" - it's these "extremists" that got you where you are today, selfish muppets. Defending them won't get you anywhere. If they express an opinion that's been pretty much proven wrong, then you get out and ****ing make sure they know that. You can protest too, you know, and appeal to people to stop this ****. I don't recall ANY major social struggle being won by a minority compromising and trying to reach a middle ground. That only happens AFTER you start getting somewhere. When there are still mass protests, you are not in a position to treat those people as your equals.

If you respect people's right to screw you over, they'll only screw you over. If they protest this, you protest them protesting. Pride marches don't really do anything. They're in people's faces in all the wrong ways. You want to show you're not pushovers, and you not only believe in something, but logic and basic fairness dictates you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Sapien wrote:
    Gender is defined as a social construct.

Incorrect. I'm not saying this as opinion, science's current "fact" is that it's a product of the brain. Gender ROLES are a social construct. There is nothing in the male brain that so heavily makes all guys want to cut their hair so short. Why do so many more women where their hair short than guys do long? Why is it more acceptable That's all due to vicious but subtle enforcements of gender roles.

Actual brain gender can often inflict a greater desire to be "pretty"(possibly due to many female species being "duller" than the males - once we achieve self awareness, it makes the female species want to compensate from this) or "strong", which is one archetype for males, or refined(in a gentlemanly sense), which is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Rozie wrote:
    possibly due to many female species being "duller" than the males

Always on the peahen's case... ;)

Generally female species tend to be less concerned with putting on a show as male's are in plentiful supply due to the nature of their role in procreation.

There was a point in human evolution though when the balance was reversed (can't remember off the top of my head why). The result was more people with blonde hair and blue eyes emerging (females with blonde hair and blue eyes differentiated themselves more and were more likely to find partners) and the male fascination with blondes has been with us since :) Maybe that's when the female desire to impress came about in humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Generally female species tend to be less concerned with putting on a show as male's are in plentiful supply due to the nature of their role in procreation.

I think it's to do with self awareness. I don't think genders in animals are anywhere near comparable to genders in humans, personally.

Advertisement