Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer courses in Dublin?

Options
  • 28-05-2006 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for a summer course which will benefit me when I'm looking for a job after I graduate. I just finished first year of Computer Applications so I wont be able to do anything too advanced. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

FAS do quite a few , i dont know if they are evening , but worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks for the replies.

I am little lost about which course to choose. I'm looking for one which will benefit me when I'm looking for a job as a programmer or support technician and which is not covered in a typical computer science degree. The problem is most of the courses are either too basic or too advanced. Any recomendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I would think your CA degree will supersede most courses on offer. If you're looking to get ahead on the job front, I'd recommend getting some certification. Something like SCJP or CCNA, depending on what area you want to work in. The DCU library should provide you with everything you need to work on it yourself.

If you do plan on programming career, working on some sort of project will also be a great help. Not only will you be improving your skills, when you don't have much in the way of commercial experience it's a big plus to be able to show employers some practical work that you've done in your spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

I used the computers in DCU during the summer for free to teach myself how to use microcontrollers and it is the only reason i am in the job i am in now. it was worth it. i did have a minimum wage summer job too :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

To be honest, the best thing you could do would be to get some experience, if at all possible.

Advertisement