Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

absenteeism?

Options
  • 28-05-2006 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

my daughter has been invited to go to Miami for 5 weeks with her grandfather, she is 5 yrs old and is in junior infants. will the school/dept have any problem with me taking her out of school for last 3 weeks of term? or how should i best go about approaching this with them?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Yes they will have a problem with it as there is that twenty day rule where a child cannot be absent from school for that long or else they are reported to the National Educational Welfare Board.
    http://www.newb.ie/
    If you are still planning to take her out go to the school and explain it, there is nothing more you can do, the final decision will be up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Well the child will only be out of school for 15 days, so the 20 day rule shouldn't pose a problem.

It's only junior infants, I think doing what you see best for your child at that age is the option you should choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Yes they will have a problem with it as there is that twenty day rule where a child cannot be absent from school for that long or else they are reported to the National Educational Welfare Board.
    http://www.newb.ie/
    If you are still planning to take her out go to the school and explain it, there is nothing more you can do, the final decision will be up to you.

:D lol, Sorry. Maybe I should go back to junior infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

From where did we get this ridiculous notion that a child can only learn anything worthwhile in the classroom....? Let her go!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mystique

thanks a million for your replies.. have spoken to the school and while they are not too happy about it, they have said there is nothing they can really do and will support me should i decide to allow her to go to miami.. now all i have to decide is can i do without her for 5 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Glad it all worked out

now all i have to decide is can i do without her for 5 weeks!

Don't you mean now all I have to decided is what I can do without her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dar83 wrote:
    Well the child will only be out of school for 15 days, so the 20 day rule shouldn't pose a problem.
    But add any days off taken already in the school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i agree - its only junior infants and the child will probably benefit more from spending a few weeks with a grandparent she (presumably) rarely sees than in school

i can see the school's point of view though - if every child disappeared for weeks at a time it would make the teacher's job impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I agree, it's only junior infants and shouldn't pose a problem if she's only missed a couple of days so far. If she was older missing 3 weeks would be more of a concern.

At this time of year there are plenty of teachers who take their own holidays and some take their own children out of school. My eldest son's teacher is away on holidays for the next two weeks. It gives student teachers some teaching experience when teachers are absent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We took my son out of School for about the same period earlier this year. We got married and were heading around the world for 6 weeks and did not want to leave him out (very much a case of the 3 of us got married and it was "our" honeymoon). We spoke to the principle and teacher and both were very very supportive so we had no issues at all. They all rightly felt he would leave more travelling the world for 6 weeks than he would in school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement