Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 HMR rifles info etc

Options
  • 29-05-2006 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Are there many rifles in ireland licenced in .17 HMR.
    If so anyone have one how much is the ammo/box. Any Brnos????

Let me know??

Have read about it know its good on rabbits, how about foxes?, anyone got one with a moderator???

The two Brnos below come in .17 HMR and are pre-threaded for a moderator, look nice! Have got some numbers for gun shops in my area/province some serious credit burning being done today!!!

A) The pic marked cz-rifle.jpg = CZ 452 American with a Tasco 4-16X by 40 mm TR mounted with Warne Rings

B) The pic marked czvarmint.jpg = CZ 452 Varmint with a Weaver V24 with a Mil Dot reticule mounted. The rings are the BKL 3/8" Dovetail Model 257-A rings

Let me know if anyone has these rifles , opinions appreciated and can you get one in north leinster, as i said ill be doing some serious phone work myself!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Have a NEF Sportster in 17hmr.
    Very accurate gun (out to 125yds anyway....which is as far as I shoot).

I use Remington Accutip Premium Gold and they average about €20/50.

Have a look the attached Excel file.

Tragectory of the 17HMR is very flat (for rimfire) - have a look at the drop charts for comparisons with 22LR, 22WMR etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Had a look at your rifle on the net, nice, but break actions arent my thing, im hoping to get a bolt action in .17 HMR, a Brno as you can see from my first post on this thread

newby.204 wrote:
    Had a look at your rifle on the net, nice, but break actions arent my thing, im hoping to get a bolt action in .17 HMR, a Brno as you can see from my first post on this thread

Just passing on some general 17HMR stuff that might have been of interest....

fully appreciated, didn mean to seem like having a go sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi newby
    I had a marlin vs 17 in 17hmr last year and it,s a fantastic rifle,I had the heavy barrel ss grey laminated version.I zeroed at 125 yds using hornaday 17 gr ammo and this gives very flat shooting out to about 150.shot a few foxes with it but only up to 100 yds also tried the 20 gr hornaday ammo but not much difference in killing power really.the 17hmr is a great rabbit calibre and maybe a little fox work up to 100yds or so,very nice to shoot,no recoil and accurate,but wind affects the bullets as I discovered one day while shooting at a range,had nice groups but they were 7 ins to one side of bull at 100 yds and it was a fairly light breeze but once ur aware of this it,s not a problem.
    Traded it in for a .223 tikka lite because I began doing a lot more fox work but I still like the 17hmr ,good info on the 17 at www.varmintal.com,have a look at his bi-fur-pod pages I,ve got a pic posted there,I.d recommend making one of the bipods too,great help in the field.I had a reflex moderator on the 17 and found it good but a bit heavy,and expensive.hope I,ve been some use to you,good luck and good shooting

• Advertisement

Good, had a look at the site nice kill, like the rifle, was gona get thet rifle but ive been talked into sense and am now gona get a Brno in .17 HMR, puttin the deposit on it this weekend. Hopefuully ill have the licence by end of july/august god willing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

I have an .17 American Brono fully fitted out. Yer lookin at approk 600 bucks with sillecer (essential) and decent sope mines a Hawke 3 x 9 x 50.

Id agree wind deflection can be a problem.

Sound moderator on mine is a standard 22 does the job but a bit bulky makes it awkard adds 6 inches to the barell. Ive seen 17s fitted with stumpy 2 inch moderators tring to track one down.

With out a moderator you ll scare every rabbit in every field for miles around...

Something else to note once fully rigged out you ll need a strap or it ll way you down carring it in the field - Specially lamping at nite wen you have the weight of a lamp battery to carry as well.

Hope i didnt put you off good alround light vermin riftle

best shot was a magpie @170 YARDS

newby.204 wrote:
    fully appreciated, didn mean to seem like having a go sorry

No problem :)

jimbo 22 wrote:

best shot was a magpie @170 YARDS

Now that's impressive !
    :eek:

Thanks for the help lads one questin though
    How do i go about applying for the moderator, do i just ask my FO or do i write aleteer saying why i want it???

• Advertisement

jimbo 22 wrote:
    I have an .17 American Brono fully fitted out. Yer lookin at approk 600 bucks with sillecer (essential) and decent sope mines a Hawke 3 x 9 x 50.

Is this €600 new or second hand???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

jimbo what make is the moderator your using and how much i take it you still hear the crack but whats it like with it better than nothing i suppose

Newbie : 600 Euro new included barell threaded, Hawke scope & Silencer

For the gun alone they retail at 425 - 440

I use Federal Premium not bad at 14Euro for box of 50

The silencer is a parkson i think - made in England ???

The dealer i bought it of said it brings the noise levell down to a subsonic 22lr

He's not far out perhaps little bit stronger tho...

What dealer did you go through if you dont mind me asking

John Lampert. Camolin, Wexford.

newby if your able to travel then you should find a good enough price when i was buying mine i was offered prices from 300 to 450 i haggled one guy from 450 to 380 a second hand gun if its well treated will be every bit as good as a new one for hunting and in some cases better you wont have to run in the barrel as well

Im not really able to travel depend on lifts from friends/family for this matter so ill kinda have to take what im given!

Also ive been given advice by doublebarrel on what to look out for when getting a second hand shotgun, although sound advice i dont think ill have the confidence in myself to depend upon my use of it. Id need someone with more=(any) experience than me when picking out the o/u.
    Dont wanna pay for good money for a second hand o/u and find its a dud.

Not sure on what to look for in a second hand rifle any tips on looking them over while your in the shop? what to look out for??

jimbo 22 wrote:
    Newbie : 600 Euro new included barell threaded, Hawke scope & Silencer

For the gun alone they retail at 425 - 440

The silencer is a parkson i think - made in England ???

The dealer i bought it of said it brings the noise levell down to a subsonic 22lr

He's not far out perhaps little bit stronger tho...

Just wondering what sub ammo you used with the rifle for the moderator???
    How much/box???

with a second hand rifle theres a few things like checking the rifling is in good nick dont ask me how i just presumed when you look in its "sharp" ive never seen a gun with bad rifling so assume that its got a rubbed and worn look to it. Make sure the bolt is smooth and engages and the trigger breaks clean also want to check the crown to see that its unifrom and not dented cant really think of much else

id ring gun shops first and see what they have and for what prices what area you in and should be able to find a few pretty nearish

Advertisement