Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit on a new O/U

Options
  • 29-05-2006 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Gents,

I put a deposit on a new gun, i know alot of the experts in here probably think im crazy but i reckon its a good starting gun! it will do for few months.

anyway i put a deposit on a yildiz O/U (i think the pic below is the one)

http://www.yildizshotgun.com/engweb/images/overunders/spzb71_b.gif

cost €599 - mulit choke - no ejectors. the model with ejectors cost €699

do you think its worth paying an extra 100 for that, i dont. my dad reckons im mad and should pay the extra 100. Im only using it for clays and pigeons. the guy in the shop made a good point, if im shootin in a feild using a gun with ejectors it will make it harder tryin 2 pick dem all up same as if im shooting clays in the balbriggin range, so no ejectors means i can dump empties in2 a bucket rather then havin them all over the place! does that make sense??

for €100 it made sense to me!! anyhow as i said il see how i get on with this and maybe upgrade down the road.

so what do you think?

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah I think you should get the ejectors. Very, very handy. You will blow €100 on ammo in no time anyway but at least if you put the money in to the gun will be nothing over its life time and make it worth more if you sell it. The ejectors dont send them flying that far and they will all be in the same place anyway. Iv found you spend less time reloading and fiddling about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Nice looking gun.

Odd that it has the multi chokes , the barrels have an air space between them . but no ejectors..

I'd spend the extra now and have the ejectors ,I think you would regret it later if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Vibez,

A friend of mine bought a Yildiz about 18 months ago. It was the lightweight model, with a titanium insert on the standing breech. He used it mostly for informal clays. A big mistake! After about 1000 cartridges (over 18 months, 100max per session) the screws holding the titanium insert sheared off. Our local gundealer would not stock Yildiz, as he would not stand over them in terms of durability or quality.
    If the gun is for game use fine, but dont give it too much heavy duty work...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

mosulli4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

For what it's worth, I wouldn't expect a Beretta ultralight to do much better if it was used on clays a lot.

I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to buy a Yildiz or similar "new to the market" brand with unproven design features like titanium breech components - the high level of engineering design that goes into a new beretta is unlikely to go into a new Yildiz. I wouldn't be too woried buying a more conventional design Yildiz or similar though, where the design has the bugs worked out decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

Brand new gun for 599 2 yr garuntee

i wont be keeping it for 2 years, its only 2 get me started and until i can afford 2k for a beretta!

I have only put 50 quid on it which i cud exchange for fishing gear if anyone knows a gun shop in the meath area?

i know theres one in kells but what can i excpect for 600?

wont get a beretta for that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Not good news from this side either Vibez,

I have met with a few Yildiz on the clay scene and they really dont have alot to offer for themselves.
    I am not too well up on their engineering spec but I know from a practical point that they are not very user friendly. When tutoring clients they may ask you to demonstrate for them with their gun and when I see it to be a Yildiz I wince.
    The recoil from these little guns is formidable and is not pleasant to endure.
    The locking mechanism is 'tinny' and although it is initially tight it loosens out excessively far too quickly.
    On a commercial side, their resale value is virtually non-existant.
    If you want a gun for a few shots accross the fields it will do the job fine, yet if you are expecting to do any great volume of shooting you are really walking yourself into trouble. I would really recommend you to put your money into something else. Most dealers are decent enough to let you switch your deposit. If he isn't playing ball tell him that you are having trouble getting a licence and you will get your money back that way.

Sorry for bursting your bubble, but I think it is better that you learn these things now rather ending up with a gun that kicks the teeth out of you and has very little else going for it.

vibez wrote:

i know theres one in kells but what can i excpect for 600?

wont get a beretta for that :(

You would be so much better off waiting a little longer to get some more funds and pick up a better quality gun.
    €1,000 will get you into good quality 2nd hand material.

Remember:- A 2nd hand quality gun is head & shoulders above a brand new piece of sh!te.

What's a clean Lanber sporter s/h these days? I'm fairly out of touch with the shotgun market pricewise.

Civdef,

You should get a very clean 28'' or 30'' sporter M/C ejector for around €700-€800.
    Presently they are approx. €1,100 new.
    It speaks for itself thet they hold their value very well and I wont have a word said against them for an entry level gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Vibes,
    The urge to buy sometimes takes on a life of it's own. I dare say we all know the urge. :D

Slow down a bit.

I will reiterate what others have stated.

You say you do not want to keep the gun for long, - BUT - it would be nice to have something of VALUE to sell or trade in the future.

If it were me I would look at previously used but not abused guns. There are plenty of them on the market.

A new gun has built in deprecation. On the other hand, a used gun purchased at market value should be worth about the same in a year or two, all things considered.

There is a market for a "name brand" second hand gun,...... a ready market.

If need be, recoup your deposit in cartridges.

You are receiving very sound advise from the forum. Take your time and keep asking questions.

BTW, at this price point "ejectors" are not an advantage but just another "something" that could go wrong. Extractors are simple, functional and can be an advantage in a field gun.
    Just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Advice taken. Although it seems like im rushing its more to do with the fact theres only 1 gun shop near me so selection of guns is fairly limited.

I was a bit nervous at buyin 2nd hand for many reasons but that said if you or anyone else knows of a good o/u for sale for around €600 im am interested.

If buyin 2nd hand how does that work with the gaurds? With the shop they gave me a receipt with serial num etc and gun spec

any way cheers for all the help

and keep your ears open for a gun for me !

Most shops will have s/h guns too, process is the very same as with a new gun. When buying off an individual, things are a bit different, basically the owner has to keep the gun (and keep it licenced) until you get your licence. He/she should write you a letter stating the intention to sell you the gun, and setting out the usual details - make, calibre, type, serial etc.

The gun shop i was in had a bad selection of S/H mainly S/S really old to

Advertisement