Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does your cat sleep? And new baby query??

Options
  • 29-05-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Expecting first baby in six weeks and up to now the cat had her own room, slept on the spare bed, and is generally very spoilt. The spare room will now be the nursery so I have kicked the cat out as of last night. I bought her a little bed and have put her favourite snuggly cardigan in it but I don't know where to put it. I dont want her to sleep in our room either as baby will be in there too for the first while. Any suggestions, where do your cats sleep and did you have any problems with cats adjusting to new babies? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No experience with babies (well, baby humans anyway :) ), but in my experience cats will basically sleep where they want, and usually that means the exact opposite of where you want them to sleep, including specially bought cat beds :) Ours seem to cycle through favourite sleeping spots, two weeks here, two weeks there, possibly depending on the weather, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've heard stories of cats sleeping on top of babies:eek: Basically cats will sleep anywhere thats warm. Best to get the cat out of the habit of sleeping in the nursery. When the baby arrives home always be aware where the cat is and you should have no trouble. We had no problems at all with our cat when our first child arrived home - cat took no interest in baby and continued to sleep beneath the radiator!!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Thanks, I'm sure the cat will find a place herself. I'm just worried about her because up to now she has been the baby of the family! And now its going to change and she won't be the centre of attention any more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

My cat goes through the same thing, she started sleeping in the livingroom then changed to my husbands pillow then to my pillow, then my feet, and for the past few nights she's been back on my pillow. That is when she's not on the bathroom floor (we have underfloor heating:D )

I have to say that the one thing you need to be REALLY careful of is her litter tray, keep this is as far away from the new baby as possible and don't clean this out yourself, as there is a disease called toxicplasmosis which is very dangerous to new borns and expectant mothers.

Good luck with changing the beds and congrats on the impending arrival, I hope they get on well;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

annieee wrote:
    Thanks, I'm sure the cat will find a place herself. I'm just worried about her because up to now she has been the baby of the family! And now its going to change and she won't be the centre of attention any more!
    But don't forget to make a fuss of the cat as well every now and then :) Cats have feelings too, you know.

We once had a rehomed cat that had been handed in to a shelter because he had been found wandering the streets in the middle of winter. Even though the owners were eventually traced, they had decided for whatever reason that cat and baby were incompatible and put him up for rehoming. He was a great cat, but even the slightest hint of a baby or small child crying and he'd go into a real panic and go hide somewhere for hours. Obviously he had been ignored after the new baby arrived and had just decided to up sticks and "leave home" :(

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    But don't forget to make a fuss of the cat as well every now and then :) Cats have feelings too, you know.

We once had a rehomed cat that had been handed in to a shelter because he had been found wandering the streets in the middle of winter. Even though the owners were eventually traced, they had decided for whatever reason that cat and baby were incompatible and put him up for rehoming. He was a great cat, but even the slightest hint of a baby or small child crying and he'd go into a real panic and go hide somewhere for hours. Obviously he had been ignored after the new baby arrived and had just decided to up sticks and "leave home" :(

Oh, don't worry about that, the cat is a fully fledged member of this family! And I'd really like for my baby to grow up with a pet. I just hope they get on together. But I could never ignore my cat, she's my first baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

If they don't get on together just remember the golden rule of 'last in, first out' :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sitting room is a nice cosy place for a cat to sleep, when baby is asleep in a room just close the door so cat can't get in. There was 2 dogs and 4 and some small pet rodents in the house when ours was born, never had any problems with jealousy etc. You'll probably find you won't take your eyes or ears off the baby for the first few months anyway lol it's normal.

Arcadian wrote:
    If they don't get on together just remember the golden rule of 'last in, first out' :cool:

:eek: shocking lol:D

Advertisement