Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Dempseys School BB Scheme Cannot Take The Irish Weather

Options
  • 29-05-2006 12:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Dempsey had a brainwave a few years back. Lets put VSAT into thousands of schools all over Ireland and lets educate our youngsters an teachers in the ways of the H'Internit and the 3 WubbleYews. It was installed last year (mainly) and over half the installs were primitivo VSAT jobbies .....only in Ireland in 2005 :(

After about 1 year in action Noels scheme is a disaster according to some of my teaching friends. These would be in the 2500 rural schools mainly .

1. The content filtering put in place by Heanet is too inflexible and one size fits all. This can be dealt with though maybe a VLAN strategy so that the teachers are not filtered a la the kids . Much annoyances and Heanet is not listening I hears . Random filtering attacks make the whole experience unpredictable . That colour content filtering does not work lads :D !!!!

2. Most of the installs are VSAT and when it rains in Ireland the whole thing freezes over and shuts down in many schools. Teachers actually look out the window BEFORE they go on the net to explain something .

There are a few ways to deal with this.

1. Allow schools a 'window' where they can source another provider this summer instead of locking them forever into 3RD WORLD VSAT where better alternatives are available , at least 200 schools can now get rid of their VSAT and move to DSL since the beginning of the school year . Others will benefit from using the likes of Permanet or Westnet or Fastnet or Digiweb Metro if they are give the option of so doing .

2. Schools will be shut in a month as Dempsey should know given he was minister for the unfortunates for far too long ......so he will have to announce this iniative within a week in order that they sort it by 1st september .

3. Important Note to carriers!!! IF A SCHOOL complains that the VSAT is ****e WHEN IT RAINS then DO NOT WAIT for a dry day before you SEND A ****ING TECHNICIAN OUT. I know one principal who will deball the next dry weather only tech who tells her "its perfect" .

We do not want our children to suffer any more because 60% of schools in Ireland have 3rd World standard BB .....do we Noel , you could get it to under 50% this summer but the nation expects action :eek: from you ??????

Those children are our future, VSAT must be our past !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Sponge Bob wrote:
    1. The content filtering put in place by Heanet is too inflexible and one size fits all. This can be dealt with though maybe a VLAN strategy so that the teachers are not filtered a la the kids . Much annoyances and Heanet is not listening I hears . Random filtering attacks make the whole experience unpredictable . That colour content filtering does not work lads :D !!!!

Thats the exact reason why the IT guy in my school refuses to connect it up to the network.

So there is a Digiweb metro link sitting there doing nothing now ;)

I'm not too miffed about it since we already have DSL and our own content filtering system in for a good while now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I tested the thing (during a dry phase) with this particular site timtim

http://www.wowwoman.com/

Its where wimmin (most teachers are wimmin) can buy wimminy things and thats all the site does . Some pages load and some do not . Its absolutely infuriating the way some pages come in and some do not :(

now try this test and tell me if you notice anything odd

http://www.ryanair.com/

and then

https://www.ryanair.com/

get as far as booking a flight thru each of those 2 links . Just select from /to /date / and get a price, no further.

To make it worse the poxy HEA cache does not fess up every time . You will not see (say) "Blocked by HEA For Policy Reasons" instead of the page.

Add the further uncertainties of VSAT and of Weather and its a fine fine mess that Noel has got us into all right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I'll see if I can get a pc linked in to it before the end of the term. I'll check a few sites and see what comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

How does wowwoman.com or ryanair.com fit into the curriculum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ye Olde Staffe Room PC

If that don't work they cannot plan their lessons can they ???? .

• Advertisement
Advertisement