Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice - Ford.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Looks like a nice car. I drive a Ford Ka '98 and have had her about a year and a half, no trouble at all with her. She's due for NCT next month though so will see how that goes.

The only problem I had was the battery died on me a few months after getting it and I was stranded until my rescue service came out to me (included in my insurance with Axa through Quoteline). But that was only because the battery had not been replaced at all since she was made in '98! So that's quite good really. Just went up to the motor factors in Tallaght and got a new battery the next day. Sorted.

I think Ford are very reliable cars. And there are plenty of Ford garages in Dublin for servicing etc. (I'm presuming you're in Dublin, since the link is from Tallaght Ford.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah i'm out in Tallaght. I had planned on going with a suzuki swift as i had one a few years back and it was great. Couldnt pass up this car though as the mileage was nice and low and it was in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I find the Fiestas quite reliable too. We sell bucket loads of them and they sell so quickly. If something does go wrong the dealers seem well able to fix them and the parts aren't too expensive either.

Many fords are outperforming VWs with regards to reliability.

I don't know much about fiestas but the sheer volume of old ones on the road suggests they are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

well not sure this will help
    But the GF went from a 1999 Ford Fiesta 1.25ltr Zetec 4 Door to the 2005 version in a 2 Door . Have to say I actually perfer the old one to drive . Rock solid for a small car and had quite a nippy engine little bit heavy on petrol . Very reliable , dont think any thing broke and oddly it went thru 2 NCT's and this is the odd bit , it passed better the second time. As regards the 05 version ... Hmmmm , it is more comfortable , More space , it is a bigger car also as big as the older Focus , but the engine is wasted in it , the same response isnt there and it also feels a high when ur driving. Dont get me wrong its a grand Car and it is more econmical . and more comfortable but if you are going for a ford I would go up a good bit , Focus 1.6ltr ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Personally I would avoid the old 1.3 litre 8 valve unit in the Fiesta. That engine's origins date back to the 1960s Ford Popular and Anglia. The 1.25 litre 16 valve Zetec engine in the Fiesta is way better. This engine was designed by Yamaha and is a cracking little unit. It has about 75 bhp which is pretty good even these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    Personally I would avoid the old 1.3 litre 8 valve unit in the Fiesta. That engine's origins date back to the 1960s Ford Popular and Anglia. The 1.25 litre 16 valve Zetec engine in the Fiesta is way better. This engine was designed by Yamaha and is a cracking little unit. It has about 75 bhp which is pretty good even these days.

Scary, the 1.25 is over 10 years old now. Still a fantastic engine though. Surely this is what the OP's car has, people call them 1.3s sometimes. I'd agree with Joeface though, the 1.25 was ideal in the original fiesta, but the 1.4 is better bet for the new one.

I would echo everyone elses view on Fords. Did 160k on a mondeo before passing it on. It has 165 up now and is has never went better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah its a 1.28 as far as i know. I dont do long trips in it, its for commuting and the odd hope down the country. Dont need anything too big just gotta get a baby seat and a buggy in it so i think it ticks all the boxes for me.

Cheers for the advice - has settled me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote:
    Scary, the 1.25 is over 10 years old now. Still a fantastic engine though. Surely this is what the OP's car has, people call them 1.3s sometimes. I'd agree with Joeface though, the 1.25 was ideal in the original fiesta, but the 1.4 is better bet for the new one.

I would echo everyone elses view on Fords. Did 160k on a mondeo before passing it on. It has 165 up now and is has never went better.

I know it is confusing as they do still sell the old 1.3 litre along side the newer 1.25 litre unit.

I think the 1.3 litre has DURATEC written on the engine block, the 1.25 and 1.4 litre having ZETEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I can vouch for the older model fiesta zetec 1.25, great little engine. Only got rid of mine about 2 months ago and got a surprisingly good trade-in price from a non-ford dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

I taught the 1.25 Zetec was now just badged the Duratec and that the 1.3 was actually gone , only the licence cert for the Car will display 1.3ltr

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Avoid the 1.3. and the LX for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

I know a lot of people say 1.3 but I think it might be a 1.25 (1242cc) (75 bhp) and its called Duratec but I also thought this was just a rename of Zetec, read somewhere that they wanted to use the "Zetec" name on powerful stuff like STs and use like the old XR name was used.

Mind you there is a 1.3 (1299CC)(70 bhp) finesse model also, double check it. but think thats only on the finesse.

The LX has no foglights, alloys or ABS.

The mother has a 05 ghia model and its a grand car. No trouble at all. as with any car, go see it and make your own mind up, you will hear horror stories about all cars but havent heard much about fiestas. Also i think ford have a hook up with the AA as approved cars, i.e. 1 year warranty and AA cover. Check this also with dealer.

Advertisement