Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laburnum Trees

• 29-05-2006 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have a laburnum tree which is about 8ft tall and it gave a magnificent display of flowers last year but has yet to show any sign of flowers this year. Can anyone out there give me a reason for this or do i just have no patience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Should have started flowering by now!
    Did you remove the dead flowers at the end of the last season?

I'll read up on it tonight for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 walkmanwilly

Thanks....
    Beginning to wonder if Ive lost my green fingers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Did you feed it in April?
    Whats the soil around like, is it hard and compacted or loose and crumbly, ?

b

looked it up for you, but didn't find out much, sorry.

The only thing is that they prefer well drained soil, did the area its planted in get flooded during the bad weather we had recently?

Was it moved, or was there anything harmful sprayed in your area? Are any of the other shrubs & trees in your garden showing bad signs?

No bad Drainage as on a slope....
    Good soil around it too. Would it be the cold weather and the fact it is on a hill facing the wind???

I rang a landscape gardener and he reckons it will flower yet as it does so between mid may and mid june.....2 weeks to go then I dig it up if nothing appears.
    Losing patience with Irelands weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

2 weeks to go then I dig it up if nothing appears.
    Losing patience with Irelands weather!
    How thick is the trunk? I'm a woodturner, and if you're going to chop it, I'll take the wood off you :) Not wanting to wish the poor old tree any harm, mind you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I rang a landscape gardener and he reckons it will flower yet as it does so between mid may and mid june.

My Laburnum flowered about 4 weeks ago along with lot of others in the area. Have any others in your area flowered? - if they have then you may have a problem. Sometimes it can depend on where you are located. Where I used to live, my shrubs and trees used to flower about 3 weeks later than others only a mile away (and 100ft lower). I put it down to the difference in altitude as it was significantly breezier where I lived which was halfway up a mountain!

2 weeks to go then I dig it up if nothing appears.

Good God, don't do that!
    I am assuming there is green foliage on the tree still?

Trees can have a bad season now and then. It may flower late, or possibly come back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Slightly OT maybe but Laburnum trees look nice in flower but am I
    mistaken that the seeds which shed onto the ground are extremely
    poisonous ? I remember mentioning laburnum to my wife as a
    tree I liked and she or someone close by remarked that they aren't
    ideal when you have small kids in or around the garden/house.
    Maybe this is nonsense and perhaps there are many trees which
    we could apply the same logic to.

iplogger1 wrote:
    Slightly OT maybe but Laburnum trees look nice in flower but am I
    mistaken that the seeds which shed onto the ground are extremely
    poisonous ? I remember mentioning laburnum to my wife as a
    tree I liked and she or someone close by remarked that they aren't
    ideal when you have small kids in or around the garden/house.
    Maybe this is nonsense and perhaps there are many trees which
    we could apply the same logic to.

You are right, the flower and seed are poisonous.
    However, I was brought up with them in our garden, and it was hammered into me from an early stage not to put anything like that in my mouth.

This applies to everything in your garden, Weales (sp) disease, etc.

• Advertisement

A woodturner and a few tree lovers.....what a site!
    I appreciate it people and still no sign of flowers but plenty of foliage!
    We are in a breezy position alright but its just mind boggling.
    Might have to draw up a few pictures and staple them onto tree for appearance and give the tree some self confidence...
    Going away for weekend and hoping the fine weather minus the wind will bring it on....otherwise????

Advertisement