Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'How Was Your Year?' Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

I'd a great year.

Good things:
    Met loads of new people, I'd say I trebled the amount of people I know in UCD this year and that's exactly what I had always intended to do after a quiet enough 1st year.
    Got involved in the Union - was a class rep and thought I did a good job.
    Ran an election campaign in the Ents Race. Wouldn't do it again because it was hard work, but fun and exciting! ;)
    Went to Talinn in Estonia with people I didn't know 9 months ago for a week long pissup!
    Managed to get to lectures and do coursework to a decent standard.
    Started playing 5 a side football regularly.
    Elected Treasurer of Retrosoc!

Bad things:
    Broke up with my girlfriend of 18 months during the Easter Break :(
    Spent way too much money
    I actually know way too much about modularisation and have realised the sinking iceberg that UCD sits on in terms of its organisation, low staff morale and authoritarian leadership.
    Got addicted to coffee in the Arts Cafe
    Smoke about 20 a day now, up from 12 in September.
    Hold down a ****ty job which pays little to fund my social life

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I have a law degree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sangre wrote:
    I have a law degree!

uh oh watch out Dublin..he is now armed and dangerous:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Sangre wrote:
    I have a law degree!
    uh oh watch out Dublin..he is now armed and dangerous
    judge%20dread%20rolled.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Good:
    - Met loads of fantastic people
    - Met a fantastic bloke
    - Got to go to Prague
    - Did much better in History than the previous two years
    - Had a lot of great nights out
    - Modded all you wonderful people on the UCD forum :)
    - Organised some fantastic UCD Boards Beers (yea, yea...self praise is no praise)
    - Banned VenusInFurs (definitely one of my finer moments!)
    - Hopefully have finished college for the time being.

Bad:
    - Let myself down with my continuous assessment, particularly English
    - Took for granted the fact that English was my better subject
    - May have to repeat due to the first two points

Once the good out-ways the bad I'm happy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Not a very good academic year for me, and I probably should have gotten involved in stuff. Ah well there's always next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Well...
    Good Points

Got involved in college in societies
    Made loads of friends in my year which I hadn't really done up until now
    Got to know lots of people better
    Think I did reasonably well in results
    Remained single (see bad points also!)
    Got some idea of what I want to do after college in the short-term
    Ate a lot healthier

Bad Points

Remained single
    Didn't get to do some stuff I should have
    lost contact with a lot of people from Athlone (home)
    Although I have formed some opinion on what I'm interested in, I don't know yet what I ultimately want to do

All in all, my best year in college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nursebetty

Well after repeating for my course I should hope it was a good year!! I realy like my course so all that stuff was good and made loads of new friends which was cool. I didnt realy get involved in any socs which i'd like to do next yr...any recommendations? I think i missed out a bit 2 cos i didnt go out as much as my m8s cos they were out to score and i wasnt but all in all it was a good yr. Think the exams went well too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

TheVan wrote:
    Well...
    Good Points

Got involved in college in societies
    Made loads of friends in my year which I hadn't really done up until now
    Got to know lots of people better
    Think I did reasonably well in results
    Remained single (see bad points also!)
    Got some idea of what I want to do after college in the short-term
    Ate a lot healthier

Bad Points

Remained single
    Didn't get to do some stuff I should have
    lost contact with a lot of people from Athlone (home)
    Although I have formed some opinion on what I'm interested in, I don't know yet what I ultimately want to do

All in all, my best year in college!

You missed out doing your first debate!!That must have been a high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

good year over all but annoyed i didnt go out and embarrass myself some more. god knows i dont do enough of it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Font22 wrote:
    annoyed i didnt go out and embarrass myself some more. god knows i dont do enough of it!!!

Really?? :D Next year should be interesting so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Also a good year! Academics dipped a lot in the second semester...Just couldn't get the hang of those 9 o clock starts. Still, happy enough with how I thought the exams went.
    Social wise, I probably should've gone to more society stuff. JazzSoc events seemed like they were a laugh, and I enjoyed the 1 or 2 GameSoc coffee things I went to. Pity they were on Fridays (also known as my day off). Made some good friends from my course towards the end of the year though, so that was definitely a plus.
    All in all, a good year, even if I didn't do much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I'm just so glad I'm so shy and didn't make a show of meself at Beers and such occasions... it's nice to be a wallflower! I had a lovely year...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

its nice knowing nothing of the pain that you didnt know you'd suffer till the day comes.
    To live in ingnorance is bliss, to live in bliss is agony. Take your pick :(

EDIT: jesus im a depressing drunk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Last year I smoked more a week than Ive done all year and its made such a huge difference, I cant believe Im the same person.

Another convert to my smoking-will-eventually-destroy-you clan, excellent! ;)
    Last year, and even the start of this year, I wouldnt have dreamed of going for a drink with ppl I'd only known online but those beers I have been to have been some of the best fun and definitly the best company/conversation. Anyone who hasnt been this year should make it a priority for next year to make it to as many UCD Board Beers as possible.the end).

Boards beers rock. That is all. :D

Hmm, pluses and minuses,

+ major plus would HAVE to be my little sis being discharged from hospital after nine months ... just in time for Christmas too :D
    + also when she started walking again 24/7, Ireland is NOT wheelchair friendly
    + my older sis coming off steroids after eight months (2005 sucked in our family, but it could've been lots worse)
    + moving into fabulous new house in ballsbridge, and meeting three of my roomies, really great people
    + realising exactly how strong I can be when I have to
    + meeting lovely new people on boards :D
    + the amazing feeling of protection last week when my bag was stolen, and I thought I was flat broke, and my mum lodged an extremely generous sum to my friend's account to 'cheer me up'
    + oh yeah, and the b/f ;)

- so didn't study as much as I swore I would last August, have probably fúcked up my chances of a masters
    - encounetered some genuinely paranoid and disturbing housemates
    - one of my oldest, bestest friends ever left last August to go to America ... 'ah, I'll be home at some point, maybe in a couple of years, you never know', so reassuring, that was :rolleyes:
    - my mummy being in and out of hospital like a yo-yo since Christmas, though finally on the mend now, thank God
    - extreme poverty and debt as a result of wasting another year in ucd

On the whole, it wasn't too bad ;)

Advertisement