Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW's 96 - and previous

Options
  • 29-05-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've always wanted a BMW and didn't think it possible until very recently. The only thing bothering me is the HUGE mileage that seems to be common among any BMW '96 and older.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=427698

I would hand over the money for this car in a heartbeat, but 150k on the clock would have me v worried! Is it nothing to be worried about though? Are these cars up to the test? I mean I had a Golf with 120k on the clock and not a bother.

Should I just be prepared to fork out more for a lower mileage model or should I be ok provided a decent NCT is present and a mechanic checks it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I think thats very Expensive for a 94 316i with 150k... NCT isent very long either.. I am headin over to the UK picking up a 97 318is coupe for £2300
    I no UK is Cheaper but its an option you should consider

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Yeah? I think I just have a massive fear of doing the import thing.. is it easy as nothing? God I'd love to just give someone 4k and let them come back with the best 316i possible! Why aren't things this easy :confused:

God I'm such a complainer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I have a 96 316i coupe for sale with 87k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I no i wouldnt pay 4k for a 94 with 150 even thou bmws hold there mileage your always better off lookin for one with low mileage. Basicly what i am going to do, as i am moving there it will be easy for me as i wont have to pay vrt.. but still worth it. I am gettin a Full AA Check think there about 150 Sterling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Huge mileage should not be too much of an issue if servicing was done as per the SI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

high miles, high level of maintenancea vs low miles, ill-maintained car is a no brainer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not exactly a hugely desirable car. 1.6 engine, basic spec high mileage. you must really want a BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Sounds expensive to me, I've a '96 328i with 125k miles that if I'd probably let go for something similar if I was selling (I'm not!). Have had no real problems with it so far so they seem to cope with the miles pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I've sold my '96 323i Coupe (still have it for the moment until I sort my next car out) with an absolutely full history (inspection 1 done 2 months ago), along with a new cat & complete exhaust system and battery. I had most of the paint chips re-done and I sold it with the 18" M-tec wheels to a mate for €7300, and to be frank, it is in mint condition with 111k miles and IMO worth every penny, he got a bargain :(:(:(

I had an offer for more off another geezer as well, so it's the old adage of it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That car looks really original. nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seems steep for the year/mileage but if it is perfect with full history it's worth it. Agree with above posters that they keep well with high mileage if properly looked after. Have to add though that many 4-pot BMWs like 316s are among the hardest driven cars around (need to because a 316 is essentially underpowered)

Also do you really want a 1.6 BMW? Not much to say for it imho except if you're into the badge

That's a minter Gatser! What are you getting now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

If you're going to buy a beemer, buy a good 'un. My 20 year old 318i has less miles than the car you are watching right now. Yes they hold their mileage well, but as others have said, maintenance is king, as well as the type of driving. 50 miles for an hour on a motorway is better then 10 miles for an hour in stop-start conditions.

With four grand, you'll end up with a car that has fallen into the poverty trap, unless you are very lucky.

If you must have one, make condition and maintenance records your priority, which will probably mean importing, and stay away from 1.6 cars, they are overstressed and the engines don't take well to it, think 1.8 and up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

That's a minter Gatser! What are you getting now?
    That's a loaded question:confused: It'll be convertible, that's all I know. I have been really into getting a strict 2 seater but went to see an MGTF 160/SLK 230 at the weekend (didn't drive either) and on the way back started to seriously wonder if I'd get p!ssed off with the impracticality, as all things considered my 3 series was very practical for me, occasional big-ish (long) loads, the rear seats folded etc.

So a quick browse on autotrader.co.uk threw up a mint looking '99 E36 323i Manual Conv in Topaz Blue with the factory M-Tec kit...

Advertisement