Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

boot rattle

Options
  • 29-05-2006 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Recently bought an 00 astra and when I get onto bad roads or bumpy surfaces there is a very annoying rattle coming from the boot. It is definitely nothing loose in the boot itself so must be inside a panel or something. Anyone have any ideas as how to get rid of this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dezine wrote:
    Recently bought an 00 astra and when I get onto bad roads or bumpy surfaces there is a very annoying rattle coming from the boot. It is definitely nothing loose in the boot itself so must be inside a panel or something. Anyone have any ideas as how to get rid of this??

I know it may be an obvious thing but did you check the spare wheel and tool kit? Something like the wheel brace or even the bolt that holds the spare wheel in place could be loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

On most cars there are rubber stops you can adjust so when the boot shuts it is held tight against the latch. Have a look.

Another idea is to put insulation tape/thin plastic pipe around the hook where the boot latches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check for other items like golf balls etc. Also make sure the rear number plate is secure. If you still can't find it let the seat down and remove the boot carpet and have someone check for the rattle as you drive. Be careful though as the person listening to the rattle won't have a seat belt on.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

My Astra rear spoiler sits on the rear wiper so when you going across bumpy roads it rattles.

The Astra rattles am afraid everyone says the same thing, turn up the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

kluivert wrote:
    The Astra rattles am afraid everyone says the same thing, turn up the radio.

Most hatches do unfortuantely. No matter what the make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes hatchbacks by nature are more prone to rattles from the rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

I'm a long way from a car expert, but I had a 1998 Opel Vectra for about 2 years and had this exact problem. I brought it to Opel, Opel re-sellers, etc. none of them had a clue. Brought it to a small garage in Ranelagh (can't remember garage name but it was down a small lane way and mechanic was called Conor).

He drove it over two speed bumps and instantly said, "The bushings are gone". I'd never heard of bushings before but within a day he had sourced new bushings from Opel and had them installed. Cost less than €50 including labour and it never rattled again. He explained they were some sort of a rubber seal that sits between 2 metal bars, so on, blah blah, made sense at the time. If I can find the bloke's number I'll put it up here but this is a problem with Opel cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

Bushings!!!

http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Volvo_Books/susp6.html

This sounds like the explanation I got from the mechanc at the time, it was definitely the problem. Might be possible to do this yourself if you can find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Yea, when I bought my Focus I had the very same problem. I spent ages trying to figure out where it was coming from, & getting everything secured in place.

It also ended up being bushings. It was unbelievable because when the faulty bushing was taken off, there was practically no give in it whatsoever, but you should've heard the noise of the thing in the car!!!

I'd defo get those checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've been experiencing some annoying rattles coming from the rear of my hyundai coupe too, looks like this may be the cause!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭dezine

well thx for replies, will check out if it is the bushings, seems to be coming from higer up though which is why I thought it might be in the boot have checked everything is secure including spare wheel.. will check the latch and if this doesnt work will definitely get bushings looked at, suspension seems fairly hard compared to other cars iv driven so could be they've worn out..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

bushings tend to "clunk" more than rattle.
    blu-tack, sticky tape, rags, foam and plastic will probably feature in the solution.
    GODDAMN it, i hate cab rattles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭dezine

maidhc wrote:
    Another idea is to put insulation tape/thin plastic pipe around the hook where the boot latches.

Nice one, this solved the problem - seems the latch itself was a bit loose so putting some masking tape round the bolt that the the latch latches on to solved the problem. Can now listen in peace to all of the other minor squeeks and rattles going on :) glad to have got rid of that one tho was very annoyin..

Advertisement