Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband in enniskerry

• 29-05-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone can tell me what forms if any of broadband are currently available in enniskerry, toying with the idea of moving there next year.

many thanks.
    Damien.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The exchange was recently enabled by eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Enniskerry is a problematic area.

It is basically fed off the Bray exchange and is therefore out of the broadband catchment area.

However, Powerscourt exchange [which, as far as I know feeds Eagle Valley] was upgraded recently. The rest of us have to whistle, or go down the IBB route.

The latter incidentally [and totally off topic :D ] has been off air since 3pm on Friday, and they still haven't fixed it. I'm back to my trusty dial-up.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

And you will presumably only get IBB if you can see the mast at Windgates and plead with them to ignore the 5km limit. And it's debatable if it's worth the hassle.

I got confused with the exchanges. Yes, Powerscourt was enabled. I believe David McRedmond referred to it as "Enniskerry" in one of his Pat Kenny appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I can see Windgates (just) and am (just) outside the 5km limit and have an IBB service (just) and live 1km from Enniskerry village.

There was some talk recently about a community BB scheme in the village. Posters up etc.

McRedmond makes Ryanairs grasp of geography seem accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

The story so far [as far as I can make it out].....

Broadband is available in Eagle Valley, as Powerscourt is enabled.
    There is a group scheme running in the village, which as far as I know, is up and running.
    IBB is available if you are line of sight to Windgates, or Fassaroe [new mast], regardless of distance.
    If you are outside any of the above, then it's dial-up or satellite.

I'm connected to Windgates and am way outside the "5Km Limit". Service is normally tolerable, but currently Windgates [and Fassaroe] are experiencing their longest breakdown to date - 90 hours and counting.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement