Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worming dosage for a pup

Options
  • 29-05-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey, I have heard that pups can get sick from too much working tablets. I have bought "Troscan 500" for her and it says to give her one tablet. Is one tablet (at once) too much to give a pup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You need to weight the pup, is troscan a supermarket wormer? I find Drontol a good worming tab or parazole. It's important to have the pup weighed to get the correct dosage so if you have a scales handy and double check the back of the pack, if unsure you can have the dog weighed for free at the vets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Pyrantel Pamoate is a pretty safe general dewormer that takes care of roundworms and hookworms. The usual recommended dosage of the liquid form is 1cc (mL) per 5 lbs. of animal.

As Guineapigrescue posted, Drontal is also another good dewormer that kills not only roundworms and hookworms, but also tapes and whips as well. It's pretty pricey, but does the job well. You must weigh your pup for the proper dosage, and the drug is usually available by prescription only.

I've never heard of Troscan 500, so I'm afraid I can't offer assistance with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I've only used Troscan once and it badly upset my dogs stomach. I'd go for Milbemax or Drontal instead, like the others said you'll need to weigh your pup carefully beforehand and get the appropriate pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

For small kittens and puppies I normally use parazole, find it great and very gentle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks for your help! I called into the vet this morning and the woman at the counter said they should be ok. Gave them to the two dogs, so I guess i will find out how it went this evening when I get home!

• Advertisement
Advertisement