Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy food V's Adult dog food

Options
  • 29-05-2006 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I have Red Mills puppy food for my pup and Madra for my adult dog, but when I go to feed them the adult wants the puppy food and the puppy wants the adult food. If I try to feed them in seperate rooms they just go to the door, look at eachother through the stained glass and the pup whines as the adult dog looks bemused. Its a pain in the arse but very cute.

Anyway, is it ok to give the pup adult food? I have been mixing in the adult with the puppy to get her to eat it with some success, but worried that she mightent be getting what she needs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I cant speak for all pup's but our yorksire terrier who is just under the year now...has been fed on the pedigree chum puppy nuts ( chicken and rice)

Sometimes he refuses to eat it.... but if we grate a small bit of cheese over the top of the nuts and mix it up together...he wolfes it down.

Daz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I feed both our dogs Burns dry food, for some reason the little one thinks the collies food tastes better and steals out of her bowl when she's not looking. I think it's more of the novelty of eating out of the other ones dish, many dogs will eat pretty much anything if your pup is around the 4 month mark no harm in feeding adult food now anyway or mix the two together as you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DOGSRUS

Want breed is the puppy because if it a small breed it should be on puppy food until six months and if it a medium breed 12 months and large breed up too 24months
    re the adult dog try mixing a small amount of the puppy food with his he wants the puppy food because it richer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

DOGSRUS wrote:
    Want breed is the puppy because if it a small breed it should be on puppy food until six months and if it a medium breed 12 months and large breed up too 24months

...or so the dog food industry would have you believe !

So that they can sell more of the terribly overpriced "Puppy" stuff.

I would actually advise AGAINST feeding puppy food for too long (no longer than until 3-4 months old or so) Reason being is that puppy food is waay to rich and also very high protein.
    High protein sounds good at first glance but actually it makes the food harder to digest. Also all that excess energy (protein is pure energy) needs to be burned off. Most hyper dogs are hyper because their food is too rich.
    A protein content of 20 - 25% is more than enough.

Feeding a large breed on puppy food for two years ...now that's asking for trouble.
    Large breeds grow very fast anyway, on over-rich food they just explode.
    Their bones grow way too fast without allowing the joints to keep up with development, the body gets too heavy too quickly before the bones and joints are solidified and with all the excess protein they are over-active on top of it.

That is inviting all sorts of health issues for later on.

So, go easy on the puppy food !

• Advertisement
Advertisement