Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Flops of the year

• 29-05-2006 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

Ok excluding injury hit players who has been your Premiership flops of the year? Give us 3

For me

Albert Luque
    Feranando Morientes:(
    Patrice Evra (on further refelction gets subbed by Boumsong!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Evra didnt really get a chance to sign, most foreign players need around one season before they fit into PL footie, Pires for example was terrible in his first season.

Luque
    Boumsong
    Morientas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

suppose so. Ill Boumsong can take his place though he did improve towards the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Evra has been quite poor. Looks like another Silvestre. He might settle down though.

Park has been very disspointing - I remember seeing him playing for PSV against AC and he was amazing. Haven't seen much of that.

For liverpool, obviously Morientes, but also Cissé, back from injury, didn't meet expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Park has been quality for United. Whenever he has played he has been clear and direct, and when he plays, is nearly always involved in the movement leading up to the goal.

Just an aside:

Park has a rating of 7.7 from all the users of Sky Sports. The only person higher at United is Rooney on 7.9.

On your own on your own on your own comes to mind.

Evra played 8 games in the premiership.
    3 of them were quite good.
    I don't know how you could call him a flop. Wait till next year.

Wasn't Luque injured all year? Hence why he played like 8 starts.

---

SWP would be there in my books. Boumsong can't be a flop, it implies that he is preforming below a level he had before or isn't preforming to his max. He's just a terrible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

PHB wrote:
    Park has been quality for United. Whenever he has played he has been clear and direct, and when he plays, is nearly always involved in the movement leading up to the goal.

Just an aside:

Park has a rating of 7.7 from all the users of Sky Sports. The only person higher at United is Rooney on 7.9.

On your own on your own on your own comes to mind.

:rolleyes: you can believe whatever you want to believe. If you think he's playing half as well as he was for PSV, that's fine.

When you have a midfield like UTD's to compare him against, perhaps he appears good. But judging from what I saw of him last year - he has been hugely dissapointing.

3 goals and 7 assists across all competitions? He gets pushed off the ball in a manner that can only be described as Vladimir Smicer-esque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't think Park has been a flop. Evra, well it would be a bit harsh to call him a flop seeing as how he hasn't had much time to adapt. He's looked shaky at times, but he's had one or two really decent games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

PHB wrote:
    Wasn't Luque injured all year? Hence why he played like 8 starts.

For some of it. Other times he was fit, but wasn't even on the subs bench. Other times he was on the bench, but wasn't brought on.

Most of the times he was brought on he had a stinker.

Good player from what I remember of him from Deportivo, but the move just hasn't worked out, and he looks like he wants out bigtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Personally I think it is Harsh to call Cisse a flop.. Sure he is frustrating and he is not a great player. But he scored 20 goals. Not many of them in the Premiership granted but I find it hard to call a player with 20 goals a flop..

And Park. He's been outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Jermaine Defoe (Spurs)
    Damien Duff (Chelsea)
    Djembe Djemba / Juan Pablo Angel (Villa)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Duff
    Defoe
    Luque

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i dont think Defoe was a flop with eight goals in 22 starts which isnt bad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

i dont think Defoe was a flop with eight goals in 22 starts which isnt bad..

It's not great either. I think he's been a flop because everyone was expecting great things after 2004/5 and he's gone backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Baros
    Crespo
    Ferdinand
    Silvestre
    Morientes
    Campbell
    Valente
    Luque

all fcuking disasters this season as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sajan wrote:
    Personally I think it is Harsh to call Cisse a flop.. Sure he is frustrating and he is not a great player. But he scored 20 goals. Not many of them in the Premiership granted but I find it hard to call a player with 20 goals a flop..

And Park. He's been outstanding.
    22 for Cisse and I think Park has improved in the last 2-3 months.

Also harsh on Crespo...given his chence in the team he was good.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Crouch yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Crouch yet

Thou shalt not criticise the holy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

van der meyde, remember him 2 years ago in th cl for ajax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

evra and park ?

oh forgot... this is boards... its cool to randomly diss utd in any shape and form.

Morientes
    Luque

thats off the top of my head

and john stead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Morientes
    Luque
    souness
    overweight irish guy that plays for spurs...um...? reid i think.
    aston villa - they all suck
    Duff
    Defoe
    Boumsong
    cisse

*edit*
    oh forgot... this is boards... its cool to randomly diss utd in any shape and form.

its not 1999 anymore, chelsea are the new team to dis, get with the times :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

sander westerweld
    mario melchiot
    asier del horno
    wilfred bouma
    gary breen
    per kroldrup
    jermain jenas
    laurent robert
    milan baros
    mikael forsell
    jermain defoe

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Reyes
    Campbell
    Fletcher
    Cisse
    Mori
    SWP

from the top 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Cisse,
    Ronaldo,
    Evra,
    SWP,
    And the Boomer for Newcastle!!

All played below expectations, especially Evra who looks like another disaster of a signing for AF.

To be honest I wouldn't lose too much sleep if Evra didn't work out with Gabby coming back, it wouldn't be as bad as a big money midfielder flopping next season. But I think he should be given more time, he has only played a handful of games.

I don't disagree tbh. But I don't think you can play "lets see" with a team such as Manu and their expectant fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Actually you can.
    When a player joins from a foreign league, he always needs time to adjust, and when he doesn't, he is quite the exception, like Vidic.

PHB wrote:
    Actually you can.
    When a player joins from a foreign league, he always needs time to adjust, and when he doesn't, he is quite the exception, like Vidic.
    Maybe I should have been clearer.

I don't believe Manu *should* be in a position that they find themselves in when it comes to waiting on players to adjust. They have always prided themselves (and been execptionally good at) having players in the wings ready and willing to step in when an injury or other abscence occured, be that from their youth policy or from a signing that they have made to cover other competitions. They seem to have been caught out of late, especially with Evra.

Whatever about his lack of preperation for the premiership, he seems to lack some basics and seems a tad week on the ball. One of his glaring problems being, how easy it is to muscle him off the ball and his basic lack of passing ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Playing so little games whilst being fit would be considered a flop too, honestly dont know why he was bought. Was it a kick in the arse for other players?

Cisse
    Boumsong
    Stead

Luque
    Morientes

Top 3 just not very good, bottom 2 just not arsed.

Where does Danny Murphy fit in? Good at the start then went to Spurs and played maybe 2 full games.

kdjac

I think at this stage Danny is just in for the ride. He was never happy at "unfashionable" Charlton and the Spurs move seemed more like an ego boost than anything else. Pity, the guy had potential and was a decent player at Liverpool (in his day).

Indeed, but you don't even have to go back as far as his Liverpool days. At the start of last season when Charlton were lighting up the Premiership with 4 wins in the opening 4 games he was being hailed as the Danny Murphy of old, and even being tipped to make a return to the England setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dannyd20 wrote:
    gary breen

He doesnt count, see phb's post re: boumsong (#5)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Hobart wrote:
    Maybe I should have been clearer.

I don't believe Manu *should* be in a position that they find themselves in when it comes to waiting on players to adjust. They have always prided themselves (and been execptionally good at) having players in the wings ready and willing to step in when an injury or other abscence occured, be that from their youth policy or from a signing that they have made to cover other competitions. They seem to have been caught out of late, especially with Evra.

Whatever about his lack of preperation for the premiership, he seems to lack some basics and seems a tad week on the ball. One of his glaring problems being, how easy it is to muscle him off the ball and his basic lack of passing ability.

yeah, maybe u should.
    you win some, u lose some. but u only find out if u made a bad transfer when a player plays a certain amount of games and just isnt improving whatsoever. Man U are no longer in a posistion where they can buy poorly and not care, thats chelsea's department. i didnt see the need for evra when he was bought and still dont... but he could yet be a quality player cos heinze is 29 after all and might not have too many years left

also, speaking of left backs... asier del horno was rubbish this season. was so happy to see gallas on the EPL XI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

i find it insane that people call swp a flop,
    he hasn't even been given the chance to be a flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

i find it insane that people call swp a flop,
    he hasn't even been given the chance to be a flop.
    Either has Duff and Robben with that tiny little leash that Mourinho keeps them on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You'd have to assume that if SWP was playing well in the reserves/training, that he would have been given his run of games. One thing Chelsea do at least do, is use the players that give them the best chance at winning (odd tactics aside). SWP obviously didn't show enough to get himself into the team against an underperforming Duff and Robben.

Advertisement