Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Eircom Line Rental Hikes Possible From Friday

• 29-05-2006 3:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

The 'price cap' as the funny Comreg people like to call it call it , which currently gives us the Highest Phone Line Monthly Rental on the Entire Planet expires on Friday the 2nd of June. After that eircom are free to put it up again. The last time it was reviewed , in 2003, it went up by about 23% .

In early 2003 it was €19.60 a month and the Highest Phone Line Monthly Rental on the Entire Planet at the time . Within a few months it was, and remains, the Highest Phone Line Monthly Rental on the Entire Planet at €24.18 .

Another 23% hike will bring it up to €29.74 a month . Ouch :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I belive they will, why?...because line rental is the only thing they can control and sure fire way to make money. Everyone has to pay it no matter what provider you are with.

And because of the increased competition they'll use the line rental to recoup some of their losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Price of a pint!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

€30.00 is a nice round number.....what are the chances that they will increase it to this BEFORE TAX...hahaha!!!!

Well we deserve whatever increase we get as we were foolish enough to seel the ENTIRE thing off in the first place and stupidly believe the new company would treat us fairly becausee were Irish or something.

Bring it on eircom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I belive they will, why?...because line rental is the only thing they can control and sure fire way to make money. Everyone has to pay it no matter what provider you are with.

And because of the increased competition they'll use the line rental to recoup some of their losses.

You don't if you are lucky enough to be with Smart Broadband :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Was just thinking that meself! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Time for NTL/Chorus/UPC to introduce a phone service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Ahh the joys of NTL & VOIP. ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

paulm17781 wrote:
    That's great for you but, some of us on the other side of the Irish digital divide have no choice but eircon.

That's great for you but, some of us on the other side of the Irish digital divide have no choice but eircon.

Hence my taunting ':p '. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Surely they need permission for an increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So I will cancel my Eircom line even if I can't get it ported. Wait since NOVEMBER for porting. I thought something was happening on 19th as I got FOUR copies of same letter from Tele2 saying my service was transfered. But it was Talk Talk the new owners that transferred it claiming I asked.

We are going to end up with no fixed lines and 3 mobiles per person if it gets more expensive.

Is there any chance that Comreg could impose a lower line rental cap on Eircom? Force them to drop it? I know it is unlikely but is it possbile? It would help Comreg get some much needed good press!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Don't be naive!

The eircom monopoly sets the floor in terms of speed, price and availability around which the other participants in the market dance.

Eircom gets away with highest in the world line charges and broadband fees due to their monopolisation of the local loop - ie gov.ie and comreg have allowed eircom to get away token loop unbundling.

As a result telecom services remain a de facto monopoly in Ireland.

Slow, over priced and limited geographic availability. As a result most people in Ireland remain stuck in a traffic jam and can't afford the rent!

probe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

paulm17781 wrote:
    as a NTL BB user I was thinking about VOIP myself but don't know much about it !!:confused: .
    What are the pro's & con's ?

lensman wrote:
    as a NTL BB user I was thinking about VOIP myself but don't know much about it !!:confused: .
    What are the pro's & con's ?

No line rental. Works just like a landline and very cheap. I use http://www.blueface.ie with them over a year and very happy. There are other providers too but I have never used them. Definitely worth it and you can kill line rental. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

paulm17781 wrote:
    No line rental. Works just like a landline and very cheap. I use http://www.blueface.ie with them over a year and very happy. There are other providers too but I have never used them. Definitely worth it and you can kill line rental. :)

tsh...tsh

Your not paying line rental but you are obliged to pay NTL for the analogue TV service whether or not its actually connected to a TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭zerodown

Has anyone seen this? It's supposedly a savings offer by eircom on my bill just this month.

untitled4mq.th.jpg

zuma wrote:
    tsh...tsh

Your not paying line rental but you are obliged to pay NTL for the analogue TV service whether or not its actually connected to a TV!

Bastards! Making me pay for a service I use and hence don't consider an additional fee! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zerodown wrote:
    Has anyone seen this? It's supposedly a savings offer by eircom on my bill just this month.

untitled4mq.th.jpg

Except your not making use of the offer so it doesn't save you anything, abit of a joke that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

BendiBus wrote:
    Time for NTL/Chorus/UPC to introduce a phone service.

hear hear. if they has a t.v., phone and bb package i'd be gone like a shot to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

paulm17781 wrote:

To be fair, if you want a geo-number you will need to sign up for a call bundle with Blueface which works not much differently from line rental, albeit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

we got ntl digital tv installed last week and was talkin to the engineers about eircoms line rental and they rekon ntl are going to do a phone service.not too sure how true this is but i thought id pass on the info anyway. they also said they were goin for trainin or exams about the said phone service next week so maybe its in the pipeline:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Blaster99 wrote:
    To be fair, if you want a geo-number you will need to sign up for a call bundle with Blueface which works not much differently from line rental, albeit cheaper.

But dont you get lots of free minutes to various countries all over the globe for about €10

Blaster99 wrote:

At the risk of my ego getting involved... it is €14 cheaper and you get 5 hours free calls. Hardly "not much differently from line rental".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

paulm17781 wrote:
    Bastards! Making me pay for a service I use and hence don't consider an additional fee! :rolleyes:
    I have NTL's digital tv service as well as their BB, I did argue the toss with them awahile ago about having to pay for the analouge tv when I did'nt really want it so they offered and installed two free extra points around the house with no extra monthly charge,..my mum lives with us and is in her 80's can now watch all
    that rubbish day time tv too her hearts content,..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jfanning

Sponge Bob wrote:
    In early 2003 it was €19.60 a month and the Highest Phone Line Monthly Rental on the Entire Planet at the time . Within a few months it was, and remains, the Highest Phone Line Monthly Rental on the Entire Planet at €24.18 .
    (

We used to pay around €27 for line rental in NZ, that was with caller ID and voice mail, you got free local calling, but the area that it covers is ever decreasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Is the price cap being removed the retail price cap or the wholesale one? If decent wholesale rates for single billing continue then Eircom cannot greatly increase their retail rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Comreg and eircom agreed on part of the Basket / Cap whatever Today , IE Comreg and Eircom agreed on how much a phone call to Dublin would have cost in 2004 , today the 10 June 2006 that is . Comreg let them charge what they wanted to for calls all along .

Admission

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0623.pdf

Now the decks are clear for the Line Rental hike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

From above metioned for those of you on DIALUP:
    eircom has finalised the rates for 2004/05 and 2005/06 at the prevailing interim rates as published in the eircom RIO Price version 1.77. As there was no significant variance between the actual results for 2004/05 and the interim rates charged, eircom does not expect any material variance for 2005/06 based on actual results to date. eircom has also set new rates for 2006/07 based on a revised forecast costing model which addresses changes in costs, volumes and cost allocations since the implementation of the current interim rates back in 2003. These rates have been modestly rebalanced between per call and per minute charges, but on a like-for-like comparison of volumes they do not increase the aggregate total charged to Other Authorised Operators (OAOs).
    eircom has set final 2006/07 Interconnect Conveyance rates for the period from 1 July 2006 to 31 March 2007 and thereafter as final, until such time as either market conditions have changed significantly that a revised rate is required, or until a Wholesale Price Cap (WPC) is in place - whichever comes first. It is the intention that, where new rates are introduced in the future, there should be no payment for retrospective amounts due by any party. The revised 2006/07 final interconnection rates will be effective from 1 July 2006 and current interim rates are to apply as final from 1 April 2006 to 30 June 2006.

BUT what does it all mean?

There isn't real money mentioned anywhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement