Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone hear keanes new stuff?

Options
  • 29-05-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

under the iron sea dying to get a listen to it.
    1st album was really good.
    i think the 2nd one is out next week or so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Can't say I was a fan of the stuff off their first album, but their latest single, Is It Any Wonder, is pretty damn good. Much more powerful and rocky than the earlier stuff which I personally found rather dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

^ ditto

I hated Keane with a passion but their new song is really good. Sounds more edgy and less dull. If the rest of the album is like that I could well be converted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, there's no excuse for a young guitar band to be bland and middle-of-the-road. I think maybe Keane are realising that. Although maybe the single is just a one-off. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Dudess wrote:
    Yeah, there's no excuse for a young guitar band to be bland and middle-of-the-road. I think maybe Keane are realising that. Although maybe the single is just a one-off. Time will tell.

There wasn't even a sniff of a guitar on the first album :rolleyes:

I have heard a good few tracks off the new album, got hold of a gig they done in cologne early last month - the new tracks sound very promising (and they have added in synth guitars, the new single is great, but the song ive been most impressed with is Hamburg song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

The new single sounds very U2 imo but I still think their first album was one of the best of the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

I hated Keane with a passion but their new song is really good. Sounds more edgy and less dull. If the rest of the album is like that I could well be converted.

indeed! Pretty much sounds like a mixture of Zoo Station and Even Better than the real thing, same key too.

Ah well, its alright...an improvement anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I like the new single. I liked the first album too, but I'm glad they're doing something a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Listened to the new album today on my way to and from work..

.. it definately didn't hit me as much as "Hopes & Fears" did on the first listen, which (unlike a couple of nay-sayers) i thought was a damn fine debut and one of my favourite albums of 2004.

The only tracks which i actually went back to listen to more than once was current single "Is It Any Wonder?" and the excellent (and probable next single) "Leaving So Soon"

I'm not saying the album is bad.. just not as infectious as "Hopes And Fears" was. Will give it another couple of listens and let you know my full opinion.

PS - fans seem to love "Hamburg Song" - bit unimpressed with it myself. I consider myself a fan of most music and i really enjoy Keane but Tom Chaplin's wailing on "Hamburg Song" just irritates me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Haven't heard anything, he still harping on about training facilities, etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BolBill wrote:
    Haven't heard anything, he still harping on about training facilities, etc. ?
    You deserve a banning for that! :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

basquille wrote:
    Listened to the new album today on my way to and from work..

.. it definately didn't hit me as much as "Hopes & Fears" did on the first listen, which (unlike a couple of nay-sayers) i thought was a damn fine debut and one of my favourite albums of 2004.

The only tracks which i actually went back to listen to more than once was current single "Is It Any Wonder?" and the excellent (and probable next single) "Leaving So Soon"

I'm not saying the album is bad.. just not as infectious as "Hopes And Fears" was. Will give it another couple of listens and let you know my full opinion.

PS - fans seem to love "Hamburg Song" - bit unimpressed with it myself. I consider myself a fan of most music and i really enjoy Keane but Tom Chaplin's wailing on "Hamburg Song" just irritates me!

I agree with you that it certainly doesn't hit you as hard the first time of hearing the way hopes and fears did. Im a huge fan of hopes and fears, and the music they made with just drums, piano and vocals was excellent. Ive listened to the new album a good few times now and it is what people term a "grower". Leaving so soon is a great song and id agree that it probably will be the next single.
    As for hamburg song i think its a great tune. I really like the lyrics and i think the whining really suits what the song is about. At the moment id say thats my favourite on the album (subject to change :) ).
    Id reccommend the album to anybody who was a fan of hopes and fears in that they still hang on to the core element that was keane hopes and fears, however i dont think there is as much a change needed to appeal to those who have always disliked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

It seems to be the soundtrack to my life at the moment - I particularly love Atlantic and Nothing in my way. Keane grow on you, it took me over a year to buy "Hopes and Fears" but when I bought their latest album it struck a cord with me straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Is it true that a year or more ago Dave Fanning described Keane as
    "Coldplay lite" ?

No disrespect to DF whatever (and maybe he'd even agree...) but ...

From what I've heard of Keane's stuff lately I'd say the cards have
    switched completely in favour of Keane. I'm not a big indie music
    fan by any stretch - just a casual music listener with fairly catholic
    tastes (with a small "c"). When Coldplay come on the radio I usually
    reach for the dial or preset button as fast as I can reach the
    radio.

Keane (while sounding a little U2-ish) do seem to be a more
    versatile band to my slightly trained ears !

-ifc

Advertisement