Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fernhill stone

Options
  • 29-05-2006 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi All,

I came across the above company
    http://www.fernhillstone.com/home.htm
    at the Galway self build show over the weekend, and although my initial plan was to finish the front of a self build house in natural stone the product I have seen at the show maybe a cheaper alternative.

I have a couple of questions

Has anyone finished houses ( or part of ) with the above product, and if so how have the found the product.

Does anyone see any issues or concerens using the product.
    I know colour fade is a possibility ?

It does seem to be a cheaper option and also takes less time to fix. I have not go any quoates as such yet though. I will be covering an area of 125sq M.

Thanks to advise
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I had 14 meters of it delivered last week and started putting it up on Monday. It's great to work with and gives a great finish. I haven't finished it yet so I haven't got to the pointing bit which I reckon will take a while. All in all the product seems great. I'm told by Fernhill that it wont fade....
    For 14 sq meters, cement and delivery it came to €1450. Probably costly but I get to save on labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Say for a wall at front of house.

Is fernhill stone seen as non natural from a planning perspective.
    Just wondered if planning stipulates natural stone is fernhill
    not an option as a wall finish?

~ipl

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mate has it up on his house and I would not like, it looks too fake and is bound to fade over a 10 or 20 year period.
    If you have to get someone to build it then you are as well to go natural, it finished much better and will last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I got them to price the front of my house, and it worked out cheaper to have it done with 'real' stone.

It wasn't a small job either, over €15K it cost me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spud2

Thanks for the replys

I was up an Manor stone in Laois today looking at natual sandstone ( still keeping all options open!) If can get a realistic quote of the labour I will probably go with the natural, from the quick word I have with Fernhill it will not be working out that cheaper then the natural stone. The Labour will be issue though.
    Regards
    Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Spud2 from reading the thread i guess you're from the galway
    area, why not give "little rock" a call Ennistymon Co. Clare
    you're talking about 100Euro Per Sq/M for limestone.

Can certainly recommend them and extremely quick

What type of Cills are you going to use? Limestone or Granite?

a pint of plain is yer only man

de man

Advertisement