Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

clutch slipping

Options
  • 29-05-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

right, my car is doing something wierd when im just taking off from first gear, i believe the clutch is "slipping" in first.

it causes the car to jutter very gently, but its noticable, this clearly does not seem to be right and im wondering is it a big job to fix it, if so what has to be done? the car is still under warrenty, in fact its only been driven maybe 50 miles but i have started to notice is now.

also the gearbox itself is very loose, as in i might stick it into third and want it in first, is it possible that it may be tightened or something along those lines?

cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What sort of car, mileage, etc.

Clutch judder can be the start of a worn clutch or something wrong with the clutch disc. Put the car in 3rd, apply the handbrake, attempt to pull away. If the engine cuts out then your clutch should be OK - If the engine revs away after you release the clutch then you've got a worn clutch. Do not attempt this too often or you will completely wear out the clutch...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

2002 citreon saxo, has 53k on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know a whole lot about the Saxo but 53k would be slightly early for a clutch to go, however, I've seen a good few clutches go earlier than that. It depend on a lot of conditions, driving style, load carried, learner drivers - especially beginners, sometimes it can just be substandard clutch disc. Get it checked by a mechanic to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

saxo is a favorite with boy racers,is it modified in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote:
    It depend on a lot of conditions, driving style, load carried, learner drivers - especially beginners,

and w***n :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Clutch slip is not what you've described your car doing as above...

The revs would be flying up when taking off and there wouldn't be the power there to justify what the rev counter is saying (that's the easiest simple form way I can describe it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have noticed mild clutch judder on many cars and never really found out what was causing it. Have heard that it can be caused by engine or gear oil getting onto the clutch through a leaky seal or that it can be a symptom of a worn clutch.

Does the clucth judder improve/go away if
    a) You use more revs when taking off
    b) After you'vre made a few gearchanges and the engine has warmed up

The above has been my experience.

cheers lads, no its not modified at all, although it is a kit car saxo, ie factory body kit, factory side skirts, but thats about it. its dealer bought and the prev owner was in his late twentys and afaik was not driving it into the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The fact that you are having shudder sounds like you have oil contamination on the clutch disc linings. This is caused by an oil seal problem either at the gearbox input shaft or else at the crankshaft. It's not a huge job to get sorted, (can be done in a day), but you are probably looking at not much change from 500 Euro, assuming you're getting good quality parts fitted (Valeo, LuK, or Sachs).

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

It's fairly common with saxo's and 106's, can feel like that till the gearbox oil warms up a bit.

The sloppy gearchange could be due to a rear gearbox mount (circle shaped thingy) or worn gear linkages, they've plastic bits on the end that wear out.

If you accelerate hard and let off and hear a clunking it's the gearbox mount, otherwise it's linkages, about €30 and some ramps and it's a half hour job.

• Advertisement

well it went in last thurs to a local citreon garage and its getting a new clutch fitted, and the gearbox is getting looked at aswell, thanks for the help people

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Did they diagnose it as the clutch?

he diagnosed it as the clutch yeah, if u pressed down the clutch fully and then depressed it, the clutch wouldnt depress fully, so it would slightly be still clutching even tho no pressure was being put on. this was also causing a "noise" from the engine.

im guessing this helped wear the clutch down? possibly a release bearing issue?

anaway he said the clutch deffo had to be replaced and when they were in doing that work, they would have a look at the gearbox and see the situation with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Release bearing, happened to me exactly like the above.

Sorry I didn't see the thread sooner :)

Advertisement