Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Essays?

Options
  • 29-05-2006 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, I know tjis might sounds like a stupid question but i was reading the peper at the weekend and they were all going on about how illegal plagerism is and stuff, anyway I was wondering, I've learn't an irish essay out of the test book, and quite a popular one at that, am I allowed to wirte that down in the exam or is it cheeting because I didn't make it up?? Could you help? I'm pretty freaked out about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

No civilized examiner is going to punish you for using a learnt essay. Nothing to worry about. Even if they examiner did mark you down, you'd win if you appealed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Oh, thank you.

I had horrific visions of losing the whole exam or something, I'm hopefully not even counting the subject for the points 'cos I'm absolutly hopeless at it.

And it's ok even if it's out of the text book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

of course it could just be coincidental that the two essays happen to be almost the same

of course it could just be coincidental that the two essays happen to be almost the same

somehow that didn't inspire confidence.....

sounds like a case of reasonable doubt to me

• Advertisement

What? Look, please if you think you're not meant to do this tell me!

i'd be pretty sure you'd get away with it

Look, I don't want to get away with it, I can change the essay if I have to, I just want to know do i have to??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I don't think they'd fail you, I don't think they encourage just learning off essays but i can't imagine them failing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

How many essays are you all learning off for Higher Level???

I only have 2 ones I am strong on and one other I could possibly bluff, but will that be enough? I'm not so sure...

What sort of topics u covering??

We've looked at Terrorism, Violence, Drink and Drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

First of all, no im sure its ok to copy it, its like impossible to learn one totally off by heart so you'd probably have a few words different anyway

I havent leanrnt off any, maybe just a few bits of vocab and useful sentences etc

i hope to cover pressure on young people, terrorism, the importance of irish, accidents on our roads and drink, all the usual ****e anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I'd never be able to learn off an entire essay, too much trouble and too easy to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I am sooo unprepared for the essay :( I have nothing learnt off and I couldn't make something up to save my life! Im totally flucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Do the sceal. Pick some simple plotline and just write in basic irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Learning off an essay is not a good idea. What if you panic in the exam and completely blank? And besides many people who learn off essays leave out key words or you might forget a sentence and then it won't make sense! And having practically the same essay as someone else won't look good anyway.
    You should learn off sentences and phrases that can be used for anything, and then specific vocabulary for the different topics.
    Sentences like 'the government have to deal with this problem' etc are always handy! In the fiuntas 1 book they have lists of phrases and vocab and you can pick out phrases from the books and dreimire.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

deisedolly wrote:
    I am sooo unprepared for the essay :( I have nothing learnt off and I couldn't make something up to save my life! Im totally flucked

me 2:eek: :(:confused: :eek: :(:confused: :eek: :(:confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

How many essays are you all learning off for Higher Level???

I did an essay on terrosism, drink and drugs and accidents on our roads.

Thank you all, panic averted, alos it was on the radio last night! Completly ok to do it!

I've just learn't the one full one! Drink and Drugs, I made sure to learn some stuff about the drink companies incase death on the roads comes up and a bit on the media. I've picked the paragraph that will deal with young people and school within that topic and I learnt of 2 paragraphs on the standing of irish.

I'd say your nicely sorted sash! Your man on the radio last night was all for just learning off the one essay on sport or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

sound sum of it has 2 kum up! yeah i kno wat was he on bou never taut bou writin bou Sport!! dat show jus likes 2 freak ya ou .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Am I the only one who thinks something on the Irish language will come up? Was on a lot of Mocks and was very topical at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

the general consensus is that something regarding ciniochas, imircigh , gaeilge mar abhar roghnach will come up. i advise people not to learn essays but to learn general vague phrases that you can fit into any essay

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

ciniochas, imircigh , gaeilge mar abhar roghnach..what the hell do they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Irish as a choosen subject is the last one. Imircigh, an educated guess suggests immagrants? And ciniochas is racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

On slightly off the track note... why do all the textbooks say imirce for immigration when it the dictionary def is inimirce and imirce is the same word emigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

test

(sorry first post up ther)our teacher told us that saol an duine og,an timpeallacht and the importance of the irish language was expected,shes usually right.i havent learned anything for the essay yet,im dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Ballerina wrote:
    test

God ballerina there is a test forum for that kind of thing :D

:| wrote:
    God ballerina there is a test forum for that kind of thing :D
    got straight faced emoticon i know wer u live remember!!("aw god ur road IS scary"*both run-phoebe style-in opposite direction...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

you'd be a fool not to prepare somethin on the irish language (compulsoriness etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

im not too worried about the essay at all, i probably should be...

if i understand the titles, thats a good enough omen for me..

having said that, i'll probably have nothign to write, so I'll sit stroking my fáinne going "please help me..."

Advertisement