Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Wexford

• 29-05-2006 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Ok, I'm wanting to get broadband and I live in Wexford.

What i know so far is that, my phone line is not DSL enabled and obviously I can avail of satellite.

I have come across one provider, permaNET.ie that have cable modem technology or something and the are able to provide me with broadband and their prices are quite good.

I know satellite is a possibility for me but it's just so expensive from most providers.

So, can anyone recommend me any providers/solutions etc?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Hi, if you have line of sight to Forth Mountain you can get the wireless broadband provided by PermaNet. Other than that there is no one else really doing anything reliable.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Try SkyTel, they claim to be available across Wexford.

Let us know how you get on!

I was gonna try Skytel but they're too expensive.

I'm gonna try out permanet.ie. The only thing that concerns me about them is that they don't offer a trial-period.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

permanet works fine from what I hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 deege

Hi I got permanet last week , i live about 3 miles south of wexford town. So far pretty good , a few drop outs and an outage last saturday evening but hey it better than dial up !! Tryied Skytel but they cannot get LOS to where i live so that rulled them out untill they get a mast on Forth Mountain.

Yeah, I'm in the process of getting Permanet now.

We have line of sight to Forth Mountain but there are a few branches in front of the house in that direction, hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.

Deege, have you got 1MB,2MB or 512k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 deege

HI i have the "2 mbit service" 1.7 down and 256 up . Generally the tests show very close to that i.e. 240 up and 1,68 down so i am happy enough with that. Disconnects are getting fewer (only had one today for example so far) so hopefully in time, this will be sorted by them. As i said before, it sure beats dial up :o)

I was just about to order permanet last night when, while I was reading the terms and conditions, I saw that I had to have a 10/100 BT ethernet card installed.

I have a Eicon Diva ISDN PCI card in now and I got a modem(dial-up) one with the computer(which is very new) but I don't know if I have one for wireless.

I'm presuming I do somewhere cos my comp has a wireless connection set up wizard on it so...

Can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Riotguy wrote:
    I was just about to order permanet last night when, while I was reading the terms and conditions, I saw that I had to have a 10/100 BT ethernet card installed.

I have a Eicon Diva ISDN PCI card in now and I got a modem(dial-up) one with the computer(which is very new) but I don't know if I have one for wireless.

I'm presuming I do somewhere cos my comp has a wireless connection set up wizard on it so...

Can anyone help?
    You could help by providing some useful information. The make/model of the computer, for example.

A "10/100 BT ethernet card" is not a wireless connection, it's a wired ethernet card.

You can check what network hardware is installed on a machine that has Windows XP installed by going to Control Panel, clicking on the System applet, selecting the Hardware Tab, and clicking on the Device Manager button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can just get a PCI network card for about €10 if you don't have one and replace either the ISDN card or modem if you have no PCI slots free. You shouldn't need either of them any more when you get broadband.

Failing that, you can still get a USB-ethernet adapter for about €25, so that will work too.

Having a wireless adapter in your PC won't make a blind bit of difference as you still need to wire the Permanet adapter (don't know what these are called but it'll be on the end of the cable coming from the aerial on the roof) into the PC via an ethernet cable. You could connect this to a wireless router though if you really want a wireless LAN in your house. Usefull if you're sharing the connection on multiple PCs, but if you've only one then it's un-necessary.

I still don't get it, I apologise for being such a computer dunce but...

I know I have an Intel PRO/1000 PL Network Connection(I got this info from going to Device Manager) and Eicon Diva 2.02 S/T installed.

I'm still unsure as to what I need, this is what Permanet said I needed....

"[I understand]My PC has or will have a 10/100BT Ethernet card installed prior to installation of the service. This is required to connect to the cable modem and service will not work without this connection".

I'm using a Dell Dimension 9150 at the moment.

I contacted Dell and they said that the computer came with ordinary DSL, Cable broadband capability but not Wi-Fi, wireless capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Riotguy wrote:
    I know I have an Intel PRO/1000 PL Network Connection(I got this info from going to Device Manager) and Eicon Diva 2.02 S/T installed.
    Sounds like you've got ethernet on the motherboard - fairly typcial for most systems under 3 years old.
    I'm still unsure as to what I need, this is what Permanet said I needed....

"[I understand]My PC has or will have a 10/100BT Ethernet card installed prior to installation of the service. This is required to connect to the cable modem and service will not work without this connection".

I'm using a Dell Dimension 9150 at the moment.

I contacted Dell and they said that the computer came with ordinary DSL, Cable broadband capability but not Wi-Fi, wireless capability.
    Permanet deliver the broadband to your home wirelessly, but it is delivered to a receiver that has an ethernet cable coming out if it. You plug this ethernet cable into the ethernet port on your PC. It sounds like your PC is fine for use with Permanet, if they can supply service to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You have a gigabit ethernet card in that PC, so you're fine. It can handle 10Mbps, 100Mbps, or 1000Mbps

Thanks for the info everyone!

Let us know how it works out.

What side of Forth Mountain are you all on?
    I'm wondering if it covers the South West side, i.e. Cleariestown, Duncormick etc.

Thx.

Advertisement