Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty city stories on PS2

Options
  • 29-05-2006 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I thought this was just essentially a PSP version GTA3 just slightly ungraded, but I saw in Gamestop a "reserve your copy now" cover for this on PS2. Now is this a brand new PS2 GTA game or will it be pretty much GTA3 revamped.

Maybe anyone who has played the PSP version can confirm.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a new game with new missions and story but uses the city from GTA3. It's budget price which is nice. I still think there are far better games than GTA and this one isn't as good as 3, VC or SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I only got about 50% through this on the PSP because the clunky controls frustrated me so much, but it is essentially just GTA3 with new missions and motorbikes. Not that bad a proposition either given the quality of GTA3, depending what they charge for it on PS2.

None of the GTA's have come close to Vice City tbh. San Andreas was a good effort but the crappy gang wars and the fact that in many missions you had to drive from one side of the utterly massive map to the other (and often back again) made it wear thin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vice City for me was the pinnacle of the series. Loved the cheesy 80's style and I'm a big fan of the music. Thought the music in San Andreas wasn't anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

So as a big GTA fan do you think the game is worth buying if I already have the three predessers.

And seeing as its drifting that was why dont we make this tread about all the GTA games, How they differ, which is the best, what has one got that others dont, etc etc. Come on guys get those opinions going. I will post my Opinion at a further date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

So as a big GTA fan do you think the game is worth buying if I already have the three predessers.

And seeing as its drifting that was why dont we make this tread about all the GTA games, How they differ, which is the best, what has one got that others dont, etc etc. Come on guys get those opinions going. I will post my Opinion at a further date.

The story/missions are ok, but nothing outstanding or new. The city is the same as GTA3, which is a layout I personally prefer to Vice City. So basically if you buy it, you'll get GTA3 with new missions and stuff the more recent games have added such as bikes and a lot of odd jobs.

It's hard to say whether to go one way or the other, because the game on the PSP really had two defining features that differentiated it from the PS2 games. One was the controls, the PSP just doesn't have enough buttons/sticks and this made control a lot more awkward which led to me getting pissed off and giving up on the single player game. However, the second is the wireless multiplayer modes, which are absolutely fantastic. Easily the most fun I've ever had in any kind of deathmatch or capture the flag style game on any system, the racing modes were a little dodgy though.

So of course the PS2 will nullify the control issues, presumably returning to San Andreas' controls. Then the multiplayer modes will at best be online only and at worst removed completely, and PS2's online service really sucks so it doesn't matter either way.

So it's really 50/50, whether or not you should get it really depends on how much you like GTA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Vice City was definitely the best. So great news to hear they are releasing GTA Vice City stories for the PSP. Hopefully that will make its way onto the other platforms. Such a great setting for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

I was real pi**ed about the sniper scope in san andreas the one in vice city was kick ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Vice City Stories is being released on PSP

http://www.thegtaplace.com/

have a look at one of the lastest artices. a UK magazine supposedly has a review of the game, seems to be just a degraded version of the psp regarding features as there is no multiplayer, and it is pretty much a port from the psp, you can really only look forward to faster loading times and a tad sharper gfx...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I hope they release Liberty City Stories for PC, us PC players are starting to feel left out :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The PS2 version is £13.99 (~€20.50) on SendIt.com if anyone's interested. It's the cheapest I could find it. Still not sure if it'd be worth getting though...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Liberty City Stories slips another fortnight
    http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17384

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Its basically a missions expansion pack for anyone who liked GTA 3. Liberty City Stories has been one of the best games released on PSP so far IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Lemlin wrote:
    Liberty City Stories has been one of the best games released on PSP so far IMO.
    Unfortunatley thats not saying alot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Stephen wrote:
    I only got about 50% through this on the PSP because the clunky controls frustrated me so much, but it is essentially just GTA3 with new missions and motorbikes. Not that bad a proposition either given the quality of GTA3, depending what they charge for it on PS2.

None of the GTA's have come close to Vice City tbh. San Andreas was a good effort but the crappy gang wars and the fact that in many missions you had to drive from one side of the utterly massive map to the other (and often back again) made it wear thin.

I thought that the games got progressively better. GTAIII was an absolute stormer of a game, but then, there were no bikes, and no decent way to fly which is what made vice city an improvement.

San Andreas is the best of the three IMO. Ok the map is huge and some of the missions can be annoying but its got several new dimensions to it with the swimming and flying. Ok swimming might not be great but it means that you're not automatically dead if you happen to fall in the water.

Flying is savage. Nothing beats getting into your harrier jump jet (hydra) and flying over the region which gives you an immediate 5 stars and then having a dogfight with the other two hydras that attack you. Class stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ah, but you could fly in GTAIII too. I went for a full 17 minutes 55 seconds in a dodo before I crashed into a bridge in bad weather :(:D

Yeah I know but what I said was that there was no decent way to fly.

Flying that thing is a pain in the arse. Did you go to the fake town that the opening sequence is shot it? You can get to it by flying behind shoreside vale. You can't land on it though, just see it is all. Its class.

In vice city and san andreas there are multiple flying options, there's only one bad one in III.

EDIT: There's a full FAQ hanging around where it tells you how to get your dodo flight time up to ridiculous times. It tells you that you should fly for at least 3 hours a night! Just leave your PS2 on the whole time. You can actually eject the cd without it crashing by pausing the game and then ejecting it. This is to reduce the overall workload of the PS2. Crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What missions in GTASa req you to traverse the map? Each section is well lead into and its only at the very end is traversing for the extar stuff needed.

The map is huge but you get a jet pack and choppers and planes to do the leg work of my favourite the scrambler just point it in a direction and go, even saw big foot on it then fell off when trying to go after him, never saw him again :(

Gonna get this for PS2 been a while since i played anything other than pes on it.

kdjac

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Will this come out for PC does anybody know? Hope it does :D

Nick

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Unfortunatley thats not saying alot :(

I agree totally, the PSP has been disappointing thus far. There are a few decent games coming its way now though. Try Daxter or Syphon Filter.
    Kdjac wrote:
    Gonna get this for PS2 been a while since i played anything other than pes on it.

I'd pick up Shadow of The Colossus before Liberty City Stories if you haven't played it.

• Advertisement

yea syphon filter for the psp is good, and loco roco seems to be building up good expectations, ive heard alot of good things about upcoming games on the psp but why cant lcs on the psp becut in price too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

GTA3 was easily the best. It wasn't flat like VC.

I think it was the best because it was the one that made you sit up and go "whoa, how have they managed to fit all this game in". Since then Vice City and San Andreas have been more like updates than sequels.

X-SL wrote:
    GTA3 was easily the best. It wasn't flat like VC.
    I'm not sure why you're saying this.

No doubt about it GTAIII is a class game. But when you finish it, you're left with not much else to do. Even when you get 100% in the game, you don't get any bonuses for that.

In Vice City and SA there are plenty of bonuses which make the games even better. Both give you unlimited weapons after you've gotten 100% (gatling gun with unlimited ammo anyone?)

As well as that, you get the best vehicles in the game unlocked at handy places. In vice city, you get the hunter appearing on close to your hideout in vice beach, in san andreas, the tank and the hydra appear on grove street.

Basically, they allow you to go mental on the streets easier than III. As much fun as it is shooting down a police helicopter with a rocket launcher, its much more fun doing it in SA with a gatling gun or m16/ak47 with unlimited ammo.

Advertisement