Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property investment in Belfast

Options
  • 29-05-2006 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Is it possible to buy property in Belfast using a mortgage from one of the Republic's mortgage providers? I've been told that this can't be done so I'd love to hear from people who might know for sure and why this is so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

i suspect because of currency and different regulations. The irish property would have different laws to the british

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭kjbsrah

Jack_Flash wrote:
    Is it possible to buy property in Belfast using a mortgage from one of the Republic's mortgage providers? I've been told that this can't be done so I'd love to hear from people who might know for sure and why this is so?

Well its not quite what you asked, but my sister bought a house in ireland when she was working in the UK, and because she was not based in Ireland she did not qualify for any of the first time buyers grants etc. Also she had to go through an Irish bank to get her mortgage as no English bank would lend her the money. So i'm not sure about cross border/different currency thing. I'm not sure who to suggest you contact - other than each separate bank. Although having said that, the Ulster Bank and Natwest are connected and are in Ireland/England respectively. I don't know if the HSBC are in Ireland? They advertise that they are all over the world so if they are in Ireland check them out as they definitely would have banks in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NaasMan

I have heard that Ulster bank will do this for you. The main problem is how does the Irish bank register a mortgage in the UK. I understand that Ulster bank simple get their belfast office to register the mortgage as the Legal department in Dublin can not do it.

Advertisement