Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Quays

• 29-05-2006 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I'm new enough to the forum, so apologies if this has been covered already...

What's happening to the North Quays? There was great fanfare and hoo-haa a few years ago from you-know-who about future development of this site. Now though, we're well into 2006 and there's still no physical movement, apart from a big sign saying that the site has been sold.

At this rate, the Tall Ships Race will come back and the place will still be the same as in 2005!

So, any news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

fricatus wrote:
    I'm new enough to the forum, so apologies if this has been covered already...

What's happening to the North Quays? There was great fanfare and hoo-haa a few years ago from you-know-who about future development of this site. Now though, we're well into 2006 and there's still no physical movement, apart from a big sign saying that the site has been sold.

At this rate, the Tall Ships Race will come back and the place will still be the same as in 2005!

So, any news?

A competition was held to find the best design. The competition ended and a winner was found. Then they tried to sell the land, but some local interests saw that this could be a nice little earner and tried to prevent the sale -- claiming their business would be disrupted... After many court battles the sale was allowed to go through. There were two serious bidders, as I was told it. One was a Waterford consortium who had intentions of developing it in the short term. The second was a Cork crowd who had intentions of developing it in the medium term. The Cork crowd offered more and their big was accepted. Essentially, they can choose to develop the site whenever they like. In all likelihood, they will wait a few years, and they will sell it to a similar Waterford consortium for double the price they paid for it...

So anyway, the ball is in their court. To add another sickening twist, it later emerged that the developers do NOT have to follow the award winning, "landmark" architectural design, and can essentially build whatever McCann will leave them off with. (although planning may already be obtained for the current design -- not sure.)

Only in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The last time I was in the tax office on The Glen there was a model of the winning design in there. It may be gone now but it is well worth a look if it's still there.

Roen wrote:
    The last time I was in the tax office on The Glen there was a model of the winning design in there. It may be gone now but it is well worth a look if it's still there.

They should call it the Quay of Dreams. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

merlante wrote:
    They should call it the Quay of Dreams. ;)
    "Build it and they will come"

Roen wrote:
    "Build it and they will come"

Quite. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Roen wrote:

the model was there only 3 weeks ago so probably still there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

As far as I know, the model has been there since they did up the Govt. Buildings. I have passed it plenty of times over the last year or so.

As for these non-developing developers, the Corporation (sorry......City Council) should be able to force their hand. A few years ago, they were able to get several derelict sites around the city built up and it made a big improvement. Why can they not do the same now. just because it is a bigger area is no excuse.

Jor wrote:
    As far as I know, the model has been there since they did up the Govt. Buildings. I have passed it plenty of times over the last year or so.

As for these non-developing developers, the Corporation (sorry......City Council) should be able to force their hand. A few years ago, they were able to get several derelict sites around the city built up and it made a big improvement. Why can they not do the same now. just because it is a bigger area is no excuse.

How easy is it for them to it though? Because, if it is a trivial matter, then why has the Roxy been sitting there neglected for so long?

I know that they were able to designate areas for tax breaks, with the government, (not sure what the relationship was there) but I don't know if they forced anyone's hand on anything.

Obviously I hope they can and do do something.

Advertisement