Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one?

• 29-05-2006 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

I moved into a new place a few weeks ago and thought I'd try IBB because I used to have Eircom and while I didn't have any problems with the actual broadband service itself, I thought it was a little expensive and their customer service was abysmal.

IBB's connection and customer service was appaling and after one day with them I cancelled the account. I tried to get Digiweb but they can't get a signal at my place. I also rang Smart and NTL. They don't provide service in my area either. Oh yeah, I should also point out that I live in D6 so I don't exactly live in the countryside.

After reading about BT on here and hearing some stories from my co-workers, I'm definitely not going with them. So...I figure my two options are Imagine and Magnet. Which one would any of yous recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I was just looking at the Magnet coverage area and it appears they don't cover my area either so Imagine seems the way to go unless somone has a better option.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Digiweb either Metro (wireless BB) or DSL.

bk wrote:
    Digiweb either Metro (wireless BB) or DSL.

As I said, I tried to get Digiweb and they can't get a signal at my place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Magnet business use eircoms bitstream service the same as BT/UTV etc

So if you can get eircom, magnet business can get to you.

Paul

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

JJ wrote:
    As I said, I tried to get Digiweb and they can't get a signal at my place.

But if you can get Imagine or Eircom, then you can get Digiweb DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭g2e

jim

go with BT..they are decent enough.the only problem I had with them was it took 2 months to get going but its a good service. just keep at them

there is a lot of billing **** ups but thats only if you dont keep track of your bills.

If you go with BT, please follow this advise:

1) When talking to them on a phone, ask for the persons name and write down the name, date and what the conversation was about. If you have the ability, record the conversation.

2) Carefully check all bills you receive for any problems.

3) Permanently hold on to all bills.

4) If you decide to cancel the service or have any other communications with them, send them letters via registered post and keep the registered post receipt and copy of letter sent.

5) Make sure you are billed every month and the money is deducted from your account, if it is not, don't think this is great news, get in contact with them immediately (via registered post as well as recorded phone) and demand that you are billed and the money deducted immediately.

The reason you should do this is that people haven't been billed by BT for many months and then suddenly get a bill of over a thousand euros and a debt collector knocking at the door. If this happens it could adversely effect your credit rating and your ability to get a mortgage in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

JJ wrote:
    IBB's connection and customer service was appaling and after one day with them I cancelled the account. Oh yeah, I should also point out that I live in D6 so I don't exactly live in the countryside.

Really, I'm in D6 on the tallagh mast and I am getting 2.5mbs both ways with no packet loss for the last 3 months. That being said it was very bad last winter with high packet loss but that has gone away.

That is correct. I think it's because my place is in the shadow of a four storey apartment building. Magnet hasn't reached the D6 area for the most part. That sounds like way too much maintenance for signing up with BT. I might consider Digiweb DSL when Eircom get their acts together and give me a working landline.

Advertisement