Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted on simple setup

• 29-05-2006 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

evening all,

Ok so I have a simple setup in my living room

- Sky+ Box
    - 2nd sky box with UK Card for channel4 and itv.
    - Modded xbox connected to a wireless router.

I have a spare 250GB hard disk and I basically want to have a small quiet cheap pc running xp beside the tv which shares out all my mp3 / divx etc so my xbox can see and play them? Also this pc should pref take my hard disk and maybe my dvd burner?

Anyone have any advice on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If this PC is not even going to service as a HTPC then just buy some network attached storage (NAS a hard disk that sits on a LAN) and plug it in copy everything over to it and the Xbox can have access to it anytime regardless of your PC being powered on or off plus it's quiet.

Cheaper than building a new small & quiet PC I would think. Have a look at this one it a would allow you to plug in your 250GB HD & another if you had one spare and use that in the NAS.

The only danger is that wireless can be flakey and you should see if your wireless network can actually sustain the throughput needed or remain reliable under load. Do files play okay from your PC on the XBMC ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

8T8 wrote:
    If this PC is not even going to service as a HTPC then just buy some network attached storage (NAS a hard disk that sits on a LAN) and plug it in copy everything over to it and the Xbox can have access to it anytime regardless of your PC being powered on or off plus it's quiet.

Cheaper than building a new small & quiet PC I would think. Have a look at this one it a would allow you to plug in your 250GB HD & another if you had one spare and use that in the NAS.

The only danger is that wireless can be flakey and you should see if your wireless network can actually sustain the throughput needed or remain reliable under load. Do files play okay from your PC on the XBMC ?

no no no no no, that netgear nas requires software on anything that tries to access it..so your xbox won't be able to touch it...but you're thinking along the right lines. look at the linksys nslu2, it's a nas that allows external usb drives to be shared on the network. If you hack the firmware you'll be able to add more than 2...get one of those and a usb case and you'll be good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Thanks for the heads up mossym didn't know that Netgear unit required support software :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no worries..almost made that mistake myself..

Advertisement