Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident & insurance question

Options
  • 29-05-2006 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

A woman reversed into my girlfriends car whilst waiting at a roundabout (god knows why). About a grands worth of damage to the gf's car. The other driver said she'd pay for the damage. GF got no witnesses but did get the insurance details thank feck.

Has anyone had something similar happen and what did they do about it? I saw a thread earlier, but it kindof went off topic quickly. I'm afraid the other party will claim GF ran into her, I'm also afraid that if she reports it to her insurance company and the woman does in fact pay for the damage, the GF's insurance will be loaded (I believe it's not supposed to be, but some people on here have reported this). So in two minds right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

act fast and send her details of the repairs and ask does she want to go through insurance or avoid it,sadly its her option as not many people can stump 1K on command BTW the other driver has no witnesses so how did your gf get her details?if the question was ever asked

as for witnesses etc a friend of mine was in an accicdent last year where the other driver was totally in the wrong but as the tip happened in the middle of a busy road my mate and the other guy decided to move their cars to the side before talking for safety,when my mate called the guards they said they couldnt do anything as the car was moved so the other fella got away with it cost my mate thousands

hindsight is good isnt but always call the guards even thought they will tell you to exchange details at best they are a witness

dunno if its any help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Thanks yeah, she's already had to go through me doing the rolling eyes thing about witnesses (happened in a public place). Thankfully the gf got the other drivers insurance details. The other driver didn't get my gf's details so that's a bonus possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would've called the guards, especially if someone reversed into my car. it'd be very easy for the other person to claim that your girlfriend ran into the back of her car.

Suppose it's a bit late to be saying that now though.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

act fast and send her details of the repairs and ask does she want to go through insurance or avoid it,sadly its her option as not many people can stump 1K on command BTW the other driver has no witnesses so /how did your gf get her details?if the question was ever asked

as for witnesses etc a friend of mine was in an accicdent last year where the other driver was totally in the wrong but as the tip happened in the middle of a busy road my mate and the other guy decided to move their cars to the side before talking for safety,when my mate called the guards they said they couldnt do anything as the car was moved so the other fella got away with it cost my mate thousands

hindsight is good isnt but always call the guards even thought they will tell you to exchange details at best they are a witness

dunno if its any help

I was in a similar situation about 4 years ago just after christmas. came round a bend wit high hedges to be greeted with a hiace halfway accross the road. I hit him full on in the side. It was during the leopardstown festival and it happened between lamb doyles and the bridge over the motorway. There was a que(sp?) of traffic 2 mile sin each direction (I know because it was on the radio) the people in the cars at the top of the line were going ape and demanding I move. I had a conversation telling people that if they attempted to move my car i'd smash their faces in about 4 times. They went back to their cars when they realise dI wasnt going to be bullied and about an hour later everyone was on thier way. Bottom line, screw everyone, they wouldnt move for you if it was the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

if the other woman doesnt have your GFs insurance details how will your GF claiming off her after her own premium?:confused:
    anyway my advice get details of damages to the other woman post haste. Shes claimed liability and given her details so theres not a whole lot she can do to fight back tbh.

oh and a bit of advice for everyone really, my dad works in the motor industry and all company cars where he works have disposable cameras in the glovebox in case of accidents photos can be taken of damage at scene. can cut down big time on insurance scamming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 punter281

You should get your gf to report the accident to the Garda quickly because if that woman denies anything it will help your gf's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

punter281 wrote:
    You should get your gf to report the accident to the Garda quickly because if that woman denies anything it will help your gf's case.
    Definitely. Get straight to the nearest Garda station and get them to record the incident in their books - looks a hell of a lot better if the other party decides to act the maggot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Girlfriend had a similar accident a few weeks back. Again, she got no witnesses. She did ring the Guards though. They asked "Is there any one hurt? No. Well then we don't need to come out"

I thought they were required to check out such incidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ay Cee wrote:
    Girlfriend had a similar accident a few weeks back. Again, she got no witnesses. She did ring the Guards though. They asked "Is there any one hurt? No. Well then we don't need to come out"

I guy lost control of his speeding car and went into the back of her. He was flying. Did 5k of damage to the car. GF called the gardai, the other driver left after waiting 30 minutes and the gardai arrived after 45. They asked her why she called them out.

Is leaving the scene of an accident not an offense? Do they actually care or is the paperwork for doing their job just too much hassle?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

The deal is that the Gards dont really like to attend "minor" collisions where there are no injured partys.
    Most bumps where there's damaged to bumpers, doors etc should be sorted out between the two partys involved.(through your insurers)
    And if there are no injurys vehicles should be moved off the road way as they may obstruct following traffic.
    Most people would have camera phones, so take pictures.

Having said that gards will attend the scene depending on how busy they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Stekelly wrote:
    I was in a similar situation about 4 years ago just after christmas. came round a bend wit high hedges to be greeted with a hiace halfway accross the road. I hit him full on in the side. It was during the leopardstown festival and it happened between lamb doyles and the bridge over the motorway. There was a que(sp?) of traffic 2 mile sin each direction (I know because it was on the radio) the people in the cars at the top of the line were going ape and demanding I move. I had a conversation telling people that if they attempted to move my car i'd smash their faces in about 4 times. They went back to their cars when they realise dI wasnt going to be bullied and about an hour later everyone was on thier way. Bottom line, screw everyone, they wouldnt move for you if it was the other way round.

And you're proud of this??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Thank you all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 punter281

Gardai are required to record all complaints made. If they give you lip (some do) just write to the station by registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ay Cee wrote:

Guard: "Is there anyone hurt?"
    Aggrieved driver "Not yet - but if you don't get here soon, I can't guarantee what'll happen when I get out of this car...."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

With no witness whats to stop the other party claiming your gf drove into the back of their car. Thats what happens in 99% of these cases. The evidence will suggest that.

Best idea is not to move the cars and take pictures with a camera. We've a camera now in both cars. I had a guy T-Bone me as I was turning in from a main road. He didn't see me stop waiting to turn so came out straight into me. I thought it was obvious he was at fault because I can't drive sideways into him. So I moved the car. Big mistake. He then claimed I drove into him. :rolleyes:

Anyway after a long saga that went on over 2 years the insurance decided on 50:50 and no claims were paid out. Well at least I didn't claim off my insurance at least. Though the other guy tried every trick in the book to claim of mine. All that happened was a lot of grief (the guy turned out to be a nutter) and the premiums were doubled for those two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Guard: "Is there anyone hurt?"
    Aggrieved driver "I'll ring you back with the details" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it's on-topic.

Similar thing happened to me this morning. Had some guy from work run into the back of me. Now he said he'd try and pay me the money in cash as he didn't want his own premium loaded. So I said fair enough, I took his details just in case and I called to an accident repair centre to get a quote on a repair.

The thing is, I noticed the guys at the accident repair centre noted down my insurance details from the insurance disc on my car windscreen. Will that affect my insurance (the "have you ever been involved in an accident" question) even if the cost of the repair is settled without making an insurance claim? Will they actually go ahead and report to my insurance company that I was in an accident?

Also, the intial estimate for the repair was quite high, possibly a little more than the value of my car. If I do have to claim off the other guy's insurance, is there a possiblity that they'll only give me the value of the car? Or is that only an issue when you're claiming off your own comprehensive insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The thing is, I noticed the guys at the accident repair centre noted down my insurance details from the insurance disc on my car windscreen. Will that affect my insurance (the "have you ever been involved in an accident" question) even if the cost of the repair is settled without making an insurance claim? Will they actually go ahead and report to my insurance company that I was in an accident?
    Looks like they are going to try to charge your insurance direct for the job and raise the price accordingly.

If the cost of repair is more than the value of the car the insurnace will declare it a write-off and pay you what they think it is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hmm. Well the car is still in good condition apart from the back looking like crap. The boot still works and ****. I reckon if I don't get it fixed, it's good until its next NCT.

If the car is declared a write-off, is it reclaimed or do I get to keep the car and the cash? If it's the latter, it wouldn't be too bad and might even encourage the repair crowd to lower their price so that they don't end up with nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The insurance company will take the remains of the car and scrap it. You can't have the dosh and the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement