Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSIA maturing next month and want to keep saving

Options
  • 29-05-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Sorry I know this has probably being asked a million times but my SSIA (20K) is maturing next month and I need some advice. I hope to continue saving for a house and need people's opinions on where to put my money. I've been told that AIB's plan is the best with 5% interest. I don't plan on touching the money for two years anyway. What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Sorry I know this has probably being asked a million times but my SSIA (20K) is maturing next month and I need some advice. I hope to continue saving for a house and need people's opinions on where to put my money. I've been told that AIB's plan is the best with 5% interest. I don't plan on touching the money for two years anyway. What do people think?

AIB's Regular Saver doesn't allow lump sums, although it will pay ECB + 2.5% on a monthly deposit of 10-300 euros until the start of 2008.

Perhaps you should look at Northern Rock or Rabobank for the lump sum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You know house prices will probably go up more in the next two years than you'll make saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Pythia wrote:
    You know house prices will probably go up more in the next two years than you'll make saving.

Would you underwrite that statement ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

utopian wrote:
    AIB's Regular Saver doesn't allow lump sums
    yes, I complained to the advertising standards about the false advertising
    Perhaps you should look at Northern Rock or Rabobank for the lump sum?
    also for the lump sum Bank of scotland, IIB and Anglo Irish. Check that the headline rate is a 'demand ' rate not a 1 month notice rate.

The best is around 4% for the lump sum , some require you add to it each month as well.

You will always lose 20% of the 4% to dirt tax meaning its 3.2% in the end .

If its 4% now (ECB+1.5%) check they guarantee the ECB+1.5% margin and that the interest rate will not still be 4% after the ECB puts the rate up by 0.5% next week.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Sponge Bob wrote:
    yes, I complained to the advertising standards about the false advertising

Still a good deal - ECB + 2.5% and no fees. I wonder what their angle is? Are they making money on these accounts?
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    after the ECB puts the rate up by 0.5% next week.

You're confident of that? I thought most predictions were still for 25bp?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

utopian wrote:
    You're confident of that? I thought most predictions were still for 25bp?

Thats my prediction based on my reading of the runes.

The principle applies, check the rate you are offered for the lump actually tracks, AIB will track the ECB up but not all the others .

Also see what NIB offer.

Sponge Bob Out!

Advertisement