Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talliesin and insults

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

poor woody....is this really a permanent thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am off for a few drinks down at the boards bar if anyone is interested. :)

I am not going to bed I am going to drink my sorrows away, as result of what has occured today. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

woody wrote:
    Bollocks I give up there is no point I am going to bed Tallesin

Good luck with that. Though you'd have more luck bedding him if you just bought him a drink, you're not handling the playful jibes method of flirting very well.

it gets a five star lol from me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Be very afraid people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

RuggieBear wrote:
    harsh:(
    In fairness, that's the standard response to that kind of post (the post where he made accusations about someone, not the one where he got annoyed at me calling him an idiot).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

wow

what just happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Talliesin wrote:
    In fairness, that's the standard response to that kind of post (the post where he made accusations about someone, not the one where he got annoyed at me calling him an idiot).

You can't blame him for making the accusations, it seems to be fairly clear what was going on with the poster in question ([name removed] and whatever other aliases he's using).

Woody's response was understandable, perhaps even restrained - I know if I was one of the (many) people ripped off I'd have been hopping mad too - maybe a bit of leniency should be shown (e.g. delete the post and replace it with one advising people not to deal with the guy until the investigation is completed)?.

Also, just because it's the "standard response" to site ban someone trying to warn others (albeit going about it the wrong way) it doesn't mean it 's the correct response?

TimAy wrote:
    wow

what just happened

german terrorists stormed hosting365

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Talliesin is protecting Boards in his way.

We'd all hate boards to have to pack up so i see nothing wrong with a mod stepping in to quash accusations.

If you're frustrated with the ripping off - go eat a big cake but dont jepordise these forums.

On a seperate note: sometimes posters are thick, assholes etc (some are even ugly!) and whats wrong with pointing it out as the need arises?

• Advertisement

BigCon wrote:
    Also, just because it's the "standard response" to site ban someone trying to warn others (albeit going about it the wrong way) it doesn't mean it 's the correct response?

Yes it does - protect the castle at all costs!

BigCon wrote:
    You can't blame him for making the accusations, it seems to be fairly clear what was going on with the poster in question ([editted name] and whatever other aliases he's using).
    Yes I can. He made accusations against an innocent party. Not just a party against whom there is no proof, but a party for whom there is actually proof of innocence.
    BigCon wrote:
    Woody's response was understandable, perhaps even restrained
    Woody's response was hotheaded and over-reaching.
    BigCon wrote:
    I know if I was one of the (many) people ripped off I'd have been hopping mad too
    What if you were one of the people ripped off, and then you were also accused of being the culprit. Personally I'd be pretty pissed off.
    BigCon wrote:
    Also, just because it's the "standard response" to site ban someone trying to warn others
    There's no need to warn people not to deal with a banned member. Banned members can't PM or post.
    BigCon wrote:
    it doesn't mean it 's the correct response?
    If you are prepared to indemnify Boards.ie Ltd. against all possible losses arising from law-suits, then perhaps we can change our policy. Put up bonds of a few million and we'll see.

6th wrote:
    Talliesin is protecting Boards in his way.

We'd all hate boards to have to pack up so i see nothing wrong with a mod stepping in to quash accusations.

If you're frustrated with the ripping off - go eat a big cake but dont jepordise these forums.

On a seperate note: sometimes posters are thick, assholes etc (some are even ugly!) and whats wrong with pointing it out as the need arises?

And Woody was protecting Boards users in his way.
    I have no problem with Tallesin's response except the site banning of Woody bit - surely there was a better way of handling this?
    The thread in question is gone now, so I don't know how much discussion there was between the two as to the best way of dealing with the rip-off asshole user.

6th - your response to being ripped off would have been to "eat a big cake". That would really have helped all the future users who would have been ripped off by this guy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I'm not a terrorist.........I'm a radical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

BigCon wrote:

Not really. He was making unfounded allegations against another user, claiming that they were the scammer, despite having nothing to back it up. I believe he was even warned several times to stop and persisted anyway. Far from protecting boards users, he was threating the existence of boards and therefore had to be banned.

Talliesin wrote:
    Yes I can. He made accusations against an innocent party. Not just a party against whom there is no proof, but a party for whom there is actually proof of innocence.

Woody's response was hotheaded and over-reaching.
    What if you were one of the people ripped off, and then you were also accused of being the culprit. Personally I'd be pretty pissed off.

Ok, but was this explained to him? I'm pretty sure he wasn't making up malious accusations?
    Talliesin wrote:
    There's no need to warn people not to deal with a banned member. Banned members can't PM or post.

From what I saw it seemed that a user was creating multiple a/c's to fool as many people as possible?
    Talliesin wrote:
    If you are prepared to indemnify Boards.ie Ltd. against all possible losses arising from law-suits, then perhaps we can change our policy. Put up bonds of a few million and we'll see.

Again, I have no problem with your response to the accusations, except for the sitebanning of Woody bit - I can't see what difference this bit makes unless he was unwilling to agree to stop posting allegations until the investigation was complete...
    Anyway, it's not my fight (or site :) ) to suggest to anyone how to run it, but it just seems harsh. End of rant...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51456207&postcount=19

Read the link....Then think about it....then read it again and then the penny may drop with ye.

BigCon wrote:
    Accusing an innocent person of a crime is not protecting boards.

Because of the confession that something happened there is a bit more leeway about this matter as to the actual culprit, but woody persisted in accusing another person, even after the innocence of this person had been pointed out. (He had a source of information, but we have other sources - we don't make public everything we know about users that have been behaving in a negative manner, for the same reasons we don't all others to make such accusations - Making such comments can get boards sued. It can also interfere if there is a Garda investigation and/or a court case.)

He had a chance to STFU (I don't siteban immediately if such accusations are made). He had a few chances. He was persisting in making comments that could get this site into trouble, and I took away his ability to do so. I even gave him an opportunity to go, "yes, I'm thick, I say stupid things" instead but he chose not to take it.

Anyone trying to "protect" boards in a similar manner will be similarly banned.

Who's Wrestlemania?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

That aint the point BigCon, Asok is trying to bring across.

• Advertisement

Actually it is, Just who was wrestlemania .....

BigCon wrote:

If someone wants to protect boards send a pm to a mod. If its really a serious and legal offense contact the garda. Taking the law into your own hands and prosicuting another boardsie is not the way. i hope you are never accused in the wrong.
    BigCon wrote:
    6th - your response to being ripped off would have been to "eat a big cake". That would really have helped all the future users who would have been ripped off by this guy. :rolleyes:

People get ripped off all the time -deal with it. report it when you can in the appropriate way but always remember cake will always be your friend!

6th wrote:
    If someone wants to protect boards send a pm to a mod.

There's a slight difference between protecting boards and protecting boards users...
    6th wrote:
    If its really a serious and legal offense contact the garda. .

He said he did contact the Gardai and they are investigating...

6th wrote:
    Taking the law into your own hands and prosicuting another boardsie is not the way.
    I don't understand what you mean. Did Woody say he was a solicitor, or that he was going to one:confused:

6th wrote:
    i hope you are never accused in the wrong.

I don't plan to mess people about on the For Sale forum so hopefully this won't happen...

6th wrote:
    People get ripped off all the time -deal with it. report it when you can in the appropriate way but always remember cake will always be your friend!

Agreed, that and alcohol :)

Asok wrote:
    Actually it is, Just who was wrestlemania .....

Is he related to Rolo Tamasi?

BigCon wrote:
    There's a slight difference between protecting boards and protecting boards users...
    I work to protect boards users. One of the things I work to protect them from is not having a boards.ie to use any more.
    BigCon wrote:
    He said he did contact the Gardai and they are investigating...
    All the more reason to STFU.
    BigCon wrote:
    I don't understand what you mean. Did Woody say he was a solicitor, or that he was going to one:confused:
    BigCon wrote:
    I don't plan to mess people about on the For Sale forum so hopefully this won't happen...
    That would run the risk of being accused in the right. Not messing people about doesn't protect you from being accused in the wrong.

If tomorrow someone says posts that you were engaging in various illegal activities, what would you like me to do about it?

If the next day they persist in those statements, what would you like me to do about it then?

Talliesin wrote:
    I work to protect boards users. One of the things I work to protect them from is not having a boards.ie to use any more.
    Good man, very noble, keep up the good work.
    Talliesin wrote:
    Nice.
    Talliesin wrote:
    Lovely.
    Talliesin wrote:
    That would run the risk of being accused in the right. Not messing people about doesn't protect you from being accused in the wrong.

If tomorrow someone says posts that you were engaging in various illegal activities, what would you like me to do about it?
    If the next day they persist in those statements, what would you like me to do about it then?

If the said poster (and other posters) had been ripped off by someone whom it appeared had multiple accounts, I would hope that the moderator would ask them to provide proof supporting their allegations and explain to them that I was not the same user as the ripoff merchant.

If they persisted in making those statements, then I think a short ban (of a week or so) to let them cool down would be in order.
    I think the important thing here is that they would have been ripped off by someone already.

IMO this is completely different than someone making accusations out of the blue (a bit like a man killing his wife for example in a rage after catching her cheating as opposed to a cold calculated murder).

Anyhow, it's not my battle, just making an observation - I'm not sure if Talliesin is saying that Woody should have "STFU" or is telling me to "STFU" (or both), so I'm walking away from this before I get a belt of the banstick too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

RuggieBear wrote:
    harsh:(
    I agree.

BigCon wrote:
    Anyhow, it's not my battle, just making an observation - I'm not sure if Talliesin is saying that Woody should have "STFU" or is telling me to "STFU" (or both), so I'm walking away from this before I get a belt of the banstick too...
    I was saying that Woody should have STFU when he was told to. I won't ban you for criticising something I've done here as long as you:
    1. Stick to the facts of the matter when they are known.
    2. Drop something you've been asked to drop because it's the sort of thing we told Woody to drop (you can still continue to criticise how we handle stuff, but if you've been told to leave certain accusations out of the public arena, then do).
    3. Don't engage in too much vulgar abuse (I give people more leeway in being abusive to me than to other users, as a precaution against abusing the little power I have here, but there's a limit - besides someone else might ban you for personal abuse).
    4. Make your points reasonably.
    I've no argument with you making your point here, and my arguments with your points themselves have been made in this thread without any need for me to resort to the fact that I could ban you. Really, while we joke about the "League of Bastards" and amuse ourselves when composing ban messages, banning gets boring fast, and the majority of bans are really rather uninteresting removals of Spammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Talliesin wrote:
    I was saying that Woody should have STFU when he was told to. I won't ban you for criticising something I've done here as long as you:
    1. Stick to the facts of the matter when they are known.
    2. Drop something you've been asked to drop because it's the sort of thing we told Woody to drop (you can still continue to criticise how we handle stuff, but if you've been told to leave certain accusations out of the public arena, then do).
    3. Don't engage in too much vulgar abuse (I give people more leeway in being abusive to me than to other users, as a precaution against abusing the little power I have here, but there's a limit - besides someone else might ban you for personal abuse).
    4. Make your points reasonably.
    I've no argument with you making your point here, and my arguments with your points themselves have been made in this thread without any need for me to resort to the fact that I could ban you. Really, while we joke about the "League of Bastards" and amuse ourselves when composing ban messages, banning gets boring fast, and the majority of bans are really rather uninteresting removals of Spammers.

well, i have had a word with talliesin in the past about his insults, and ive asked him to improve on them.

they just arent up to the standard when dealing with idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Sorry have been following this one and have to agree with other posters that a pernament site ban is/was not justified in this case, a temp ban and thread lock could have diffused it, A long time boards user/contributor shouldn'e be treated with a straight pernament ban.
    Also if your aim is to protect boards, then throwing insults (such as calling a person thick or stupid) isn't the way to moderate a forum, you should of locked the thread after first explaining your reasons, think its unprofessional to see MODs trading insults.

Advertisement