Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talliesin and insults

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

well, i have had a word with talliesin in the past about his insults, and ive asked him to improve on them.

they just arent up to the standard when dealing with idiots.

agreed
    the Mods should call an emergency meeting to discuss this problem asap

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Darth Maul wrote:
    straight pernament ban
    It wasn't a straight permanent ban. He was warned a few times to desist but continued anyway. Woody has been trolling boards.ie for a while now. I think he was lucky to not have been banned for naming that user in the first place.

On top of that: starting a thread in Feedback about how an SMod called him thick was a bit thick. I think he knew he would be banned for that. It stank to me of a "go on, ban me. See if I care" sort of a buzz. The answer to that is always going to be "ok, no problem".

Edit: WWM, you have to recognise the trade-off. If you up the standard too much, it goes over their head, and your quip is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Just to clarify something for certain users - Woody made an accusation, was first informed by Asok that there was no evidence. then made the accusation again, and was informed by ecksor that there was no evidence...then made the accusation again? not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

&#231 wrote: »
    Just to clarify something for certain users - Woody made an accusation, was first informed by Asok that there was no evidence. then made the accusation again, and was informed by ecksor that there was no evidence...then made the accusation again? not on.

That is a fair point, and woody was banned for persisting when already warned, which is also fair enough, but...

The user in question was/is selling the same things that the real scammer was. when confronted with this, he made up an elaborate front that didn't add up, due to the fact that stuff he was selling for months, he apparently "recently obtained" in his story?

I'm not saying outright its decisive evidence, but you can easily see where woody thought he was in the right, and possibly is right.

As well as that we have people with low post counts (>40 posts)suddenly cropping up on the thread defending the user in question, seems a bit fishy, to me at least personally.

But thats just my take on it, unlike woody I'm not providing names nor am I saying I'm 100% sure of anything one way or another...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

&#231 wrote: »
    I think everyone agrees and accepts that.

A straight perm-ban though? Strikes me to be a bit heavy-handed.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Beruthiel wrote:
    agreed
    the Mods should call an emergency meeting to discuss this problem asap
    Okie dokie. Sugar Club again? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Asok wrote:
    Actually it is, Just who was wrestlemania .....

Could we get back on topic now .

Personally I always felt it was Hulk Hogan , yeah yeah , I know there was suits behind the scene , but come on , without him it was nothing !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I think everyone agrees and accepts that.

A straight perm-ban though? Strikes me to be a bit heavy-handed.
    It wasn't a straight perm-ban though. It followed far more warnings than it really warranted. He was not only opening this site up to litigation, but was repeatedly doing so when warned.

He demonstrated that he wasn't going to stop. His ability to continue was taken away from him (he could do so in the prison forum, but if he does he'll be banned from there).

Talliesin wrote:
    It wasn't a straight perm-ban though. It followed far more warnings than it really warranted. He was not only opening this site up to litigation, but was repeatedly doing so when warned.

He demonstrated that he wasn't going to stop. His ability to continue was taken away from him (he could do so in the prison forum, but if he does he'll be banned from there).
    Well it was a straight perm-ban in the sense that he wasn't given a week ban first or some other lesser sentence.

I don't know if there are inter-personal relationship issues here between woody and some of the mods. I suspect there is at least a history of poor relations. But I think its important that a sense of fair treatment is felt by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I feel so out of the loop :(

Any chance of finding out what these accusations were?

//edit
    ...did a little searching through the past-posts... it seems someone was ripping people off, using a few aliases and woody was throwing about accusations as to who those aliases where. that about it?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Well it was a straight perm-ban in the sense that he wasn't given a week ban first or some other lesser sentence.

I don't know if there are inter-personal relationship issues here between woody and some of the mods. I suspect there is at least a history of poor relations. But I think its important that a sense of fair treatment is felt by everyone.
    If we were to wait for everyone to have a sense of fair treatment we'd be waiting til Ragnarok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Just did a little digging wrt woody in our super amazing private forums and RE*AC*TOR if you knew what had gone on previous I think you would feel that Talliesin was justified.

Goodshape:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054934437&highlight=woody (post 38 onwardS)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51454369&postcount=19

Everyone else:

gif_dancinggir.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I'm glad to see him gone as woody messed me around on the FS forum a while back so it was fun seeing him get himself banned last night (I watched all play out live - very entertaining)

As I did get to read the thread in question before it was deleted I have more background on what went on than some of those here who are saying that woody was treated harshly. He wasn't. He behaved like an idiot and didn't know when to shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

CuLT wrote:
    If we were to wait for everyone to have a sense of fair treatment we'd be waiting til Ragnarok.

Hush now don't tempt fate really the wolf could come and eat the sun anyday now.

Just did a little digging wrt woody in our super amazing private forums and RE*AC*TOR if you knew what had gone on previous I think you would feel that Talliesin was justified.

That probably affirms my thoughts that this had as much (if not more) to do with history than with current events.

I have no beef with Talliesin. I just thought that generally it should follow... warning.... week ban.... month ban.... perm ban....

Having said that I don't know if woody had been banned previously. I don't really care. It just seems to me that a giant foot has descended from the sky in a Monty Python-esque manner and squashed woody.

I guess the bottom-line is, should this type of justice be metered out in your oh-so-secret private forums? Or should it be available for all so that a proper sense of crime and punishment prevail. Then we can all hold hands together and skip merrily into the sunset, safe in the knowledge that this little corner of the internet we frequent has some sense of propriety and decency, that its justice is blind, and is not dependent on which member of the choosen few you happen to piss off on a given day.

"Oh he's guilty, WE have the evidence........"

**pats me on the head**

"Now run along"

Well, woodys been banned from 3 forums at least...so I don't think its all of that sudden an incident - and of course past actions count - thats how we judge people. if someone acts like a tit and continues acting like a tit, they get banned!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I just thought that generally it should follow... warning.... week ban.... month ban.... perm ban....

It did.

Warnings
    Temp Bans from different forums
    Perm Bans from some of above forums
    Temp site ban (maybe - not sure)
    Perm site ban

At every stage woody was given the chance, and at every stage woody persisted.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I guess the bottom-line is, should this type of justice be metered out in your oh-so-secret private forums?

Yes
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Or should it be available for all so that a proper sense of crime and punishment prevail.

No

It did.

Warnings
    Temp Bans from different forums
    Perm Bans from some of above forums
    Temp site ban (maybe - not sure)
    Perm site ban

At every stage woody was given the chance, and at every stage woody persisted.

Yes

No
    Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!

beingrep.jpg

*edit* please see below post for correct quote.

Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
    King Arthur: Bloody peasant!
    Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?

Get the damn quote right.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Wrt the siteban procedure - I don't think I'm the only one that sitebans people without previous warnings or bans, and without a warning from myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I just thought that generally it should follow... warning.... week ban.... month ban.... perm ban....

why should it be like that?

i dislike giving people 'a weeks' ban, becuase they have a tendency to come back and demand to be let back into a forum.

i will allow someone back into a forum if i have banned them, when i feel they should be allowed back. if its one day, its one day, if its 3 months, then its three months.
    im not running some sort of diciplinary proceedure here. theres no verbal warning, written warning proceedure in place.

you act the mickey, you get banned depending on how much mickey youre acting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Darth Maul wrote:
    think its unprofessional to see MODs trading insults.

Technically since none of the mods are paid then they are amateurs, although I do believe there is a lucrative BanStick sponsorship in the offing.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

technically, since we're not doing a job, we're not anything.

and for the record, I hate banning people. Have to go to all that effort of going to the ban controls, banning the person, PMing them, waiting for the inevitable "OMG U FCKIN ASSHOLE WHO DO U THINK U R U HITLER NAZI?!1".

Then rifling through PMs when their ban time is up to see if they are actually supposed to be unbanned, or else trawling through their posts on FS to see why they were banned in the first place.

And then the moron brigade calling for blood and the freedom of the banees because "HUMAN RIGHTS HAVE BEEN VIOLATED YOU DICTATOR/CHILD/NERD/FAG".

It's just not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

CuLT wrote:
    technically, since we're not doing a job, we're not anything.

and for the record, I hate banning people. Have to go to all that effort of going to the ban controls, banning the person, PMing them, waiting for the inevitable "OMG U FCKIN ASSHOLE WHO DO U THINK U R U HITLER NAZI?!1".

Then rifling through PMs when their ban time is up to see if they are actually supposed to be unbanned, or else trawling through their posts on FS to see why they were banned in the first place.

And then the moron brigade calling for blood and the freedom of the banees because "HUMAN RIGHTS HAVE BEEN VIOLATED YOU DICTATOR/CHILD/NERD/FAG".

It's just not fun.

Post of the month to be honest.

I'd rather **** with a fingerful of chili sauce than ban most of the whinging bitches on this site these days.

Post of the month to be honest.

I'd rather **** with a fingerful of chili sauce than ban most of the whinging bitches on this site these days.
    you guys are disillusioned.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd rather **** with a fingerful of chili sauce ...
    Ooh, that brought a tear to my eye.

And I have a different set of equipment, and all....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CuLT wrote:
    "OMG U FCKIN ASSHOLE"
    Is that Stan to Cartman?
    Vid? Pix?

CuLT wrote:

You want to get yourself rainlender mate

rainlender.png

Tis what I use to remind me to unban folk.

RE*AC*TOR for AH / POLITICS / RELIGION mod by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I am not going to comment on the banning, that's entirely up to the mods, but I would like to express my disquiet at some of the dealing allowed on FS.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who are selling unopened, high cost, electronic goods on a regular basis. The Forum is intended for private sales by individuals to individuals. TBH it's more like a clearing house for Aladdin's Cave. Some posters never seem to post outside the FS Forum. Why would anybody be selling several mobile phones at the same time on one thread? Am I the only one that is getting a bad smell? There has to be a strong suspicion that stolen property is being traded. It's getting as bad as "buy and sell" IMHO.

It would be interesting to look at the value of sales made by some posters. I won't name anyone, the names are there for all to see, but some have a high enough turnover to be VAT registered.

Outspoken posters are being banned to protect Boards good name, I think its time for a bit of monitoring of some posters who are selling large volumes to also protect Boards good name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

If you have suspicions about a poster either report the thread or drop myself a pm and I can look into it.

Advertisement