Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talliesin and insults

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Hagar wrote:
    Some posters never seem to post outside the FS Forum.

There was a time where I posted only in the FS section. There are those that post only in AH. Does that mean that those people that post only in AH are spamming gits? Yes. Yes it does.
    Hagar wrote:
    Why would anybody be selling several mobile phones at the same time on one thread? Am I the only one that is getting a bad smell?

I went through a stage of buying and selling a **** load of phones. Mobiles are like trading cards to some people. Buy em, try em, sell em. Repeated offenders should be brought to the FS mods attention of course, but there is nothing immediately bad about the scenario you described.

It's also very difficult to tell immediately if someone is a trader or not - and unfortunately it may only become apparent over time.

If FS mods ban someone too quickly they are harassed for being to strict. If they don't ban traders/scammers quick enough they are harassed for being too lenient/slow. SET MY (mod) PEOPLE FREE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

i dislike giving people 'a weeks' ban, becuase they have a tendency to come back and demand to be let back into a forum.
    There is a distinction between bans as punishment or warnings ("you were bad, go to jail, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds") and bannings to simply remove someone from a forum or from the site because they are having a negative effect on it, indications are that the will continue to have a negative effect on it, and we are excising a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

big meanies ^^^

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Plenty of paranoia going around the FS mods Hagar, I can guarantee that. But er, honestly, this is the first time where I can say we've ever been accused of being too lenient.

There are a few suspect posters, but other than PMing them and questioning them (and obviously just getting lies if they're traders), there's not a huge amount we can do.

Do we set a "limit" to how much you can sell?

Do we simply ban people on "hunches"?

As the summer deepens I can only imagine this scenario will appear to look more alarming, and it will almost always be explained by students getting summer jobs, being flush with cash, few living expenses to pay for, and therefore lots of spare money to burn on FS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for the responses.

I do realise that within reason you must accept people at face value and accept their responses as truthful unless you can prove otherwise.

I think the FS is extemely well modded. I read it everyday but I have only ever sold one item and that was a sat system that was demonstrated working in my home.
    I would not be too quick to trust some of the posters that I see there regularly. Maybe I'm too paranoid. Is that possible? If I were to PM or report posts suspected on a regular basis I would soon be labelled a crackpot, so I just brought the topic up in general here.
    Will the higher profile adverts.ie attract more dodgy sellers I wonder? Could adverts.ie/boards.ie end up being tarred as just another buy and sell style clearing house for stolen property?

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:
    TMaybe I'm too paranoid. Is that possible?

It would seem so.

001285SLDEc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

It would seem so.

001285SLDEc.jpg
    Dude, why couldn't you just TYPE that?

?_?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Because those on 56K modems must be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Talliesin wrote:
    There is a distinction between bans as punishment or warnings ("you were bad, go to jail, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds") and bannings to simply remove someone from a forum or from the site because they are having a negative effect on it, indications are that the will continue to have a negative effect on it, and we are excising a problem.

well, i dont have the ability to site ban, so i cant comment, but in theory, we are singing fom the same hymn sheet.

It would seem so.

001285SLDEc.jpg

No I couldnt just type Just because you're PARANOID doesn't mean that they're not OUT TO GET YOU as it would have consumed far too much of my valuable time and energy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The picture was funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Hagar wrote:
    The picture was funnier.

I like blue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hobart wrote:
    You are not Thick. You appear to be illiterate and unable to understand the fact that you cannot wildly spout out allegations about innocent people.

Actually, he IS thick, even if you ignore the illiteracy. He's come out with some of the most crazy bigoted nonsense I've ever seen here, and doesn't argue sensibly.

But he's banned! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hay GUYZ WATS GOIN ON IN DIS TREAD?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

/gives amp a slap
    quiet you WHORE!

Advertisement