Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primetime expose on solicitors

Options
  • 29-05-2006 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭

was it just me or did the director general of the law sociedty look like he was ****ting himself:D the very idea of a body investigating themselves holds no currency these days and its blatently obvious theres something rotten going on in the legal profession. ive experience myself of dodgy solicitors trying to pull scams so the idea that the figures quoted by the law society on complaints being the totality of the amount of people being shafted is ridiculous. and when they mentioned the redress board people getting over charged you could just tell he wanted out of the building. the amount of sophistry he used to defend the fact no ones been significanly reprimanded was stunning. what did you guys think?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

The law society know that the gravy train has to come to an end. Lawyers investigating collegues for accusations of malpractice............I wonder:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Agreed, he squirmed out of the overcharging issue by saying he couldn't discuss any specific case, the interviewer should have asked him if he agreed there had been overcharging, yes or no. In any event viewers could see how poor his position is.

The irony of the legal profession arguing that plaintiff representation which is a given in court is unneccessary when it comes to their self-regulatory procedures, is only surpassed by their arrogance.

We definitely need independant lay regulation as the scots have, some of these people are outright sheisters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

democrates wrote:
    We definitely need independant lay regulation as the scots have
    It will not happen while McDowell, a lawyer, is in charge of the chicken farm. Competition can only go so far , taxis are one thing but legal fees .....NEVER :eek: !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

it was interesting what was said about the scottish method of handling this issue. i wasnt aware myself that they had instituted an independant body and to hear the DG trying to defend his position directly after the scottish rep stating in no uncertain terms the exact opposite was priceless. have to admit primetimes been seriously on the ball the last few weeks but am seriously disappointed at how little coverage its getting in the media today. guess some strings were pulled in the mainstream press:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It will not happen while McDowell, a lawyer
    You mean Michael McDowell, a barrister?

• Advertisement
Advertisement