Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing a second hand o/u

Options
  • 29-05-2006 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

My FO isnt on duty till wednesday night at which time im going down to him to explain what i wish to do.

Im gona trade in my Beretta AL391 Syn(got it 2nd hand for €1000) for an o/u and a deposit on a rifle(Brno cz 452 varmint). I hope to have this done this weekend all going well, which it should.

What im looking for is advice on buying a second hand o/u (ive seen some advice on a different thread). A person i know with several firearms and experience was with me when i got my repeater and stiffled(if only slightly) my want to just get a gun, any gun. He steered me as much as he could off some rash decisions.

What should i look for when buying a second hand o/u? I have €400-€500

I know to have a look at the barrel
    The firing pin holes
    The stock/foregrip for repairs, cracks etc

Anything else i should look for?

I realise some of you may critcise my decision to trade in the repeater so soon, i would welcome any advice etc, however my mind is set that i made somewhat of an impulse purchase and have had time to reflect on what type of gun i actually need for me.(gun is for hunting purposes only, no clays)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Calm down Newby, the 391 was a good purchase, a €400-500 rushed decision will be a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Fair enough
    my only real problems are having to fumble with cartridges, changing them when i come across a fox when im after birds/rabbits as it brings two problems itself,

A) wasted time
    B) noise

Two things i know, even at this stage, you cant have when you come across a fox

One thing to note is i currently dont have the money to buy a rifle i.e. the only way i can get one is to downgrade shotguns and then i can afford it!!! Also once i have the rifle it will be my prefered choice, i like hunting with shotguns, but a rifle is my prefered weapon/firearm i think now in hindsight the purchase, although a good one, may have been overkill! As when i have my rifle i simply wont need a semi-auto shotgun, i think a modestly priced o/u would suit better????

Let me know what you think!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hi Newby,

I'm just wondering if you've factored in the price of a scope and mounts etc for your new rifle too? Not a criticism at all :) just wondering.

John

Yea i plan to accumulate the cost of those in the wait for the licence to come through, good point though, i will be bying Rews scope if its still for sale when i have the €

Just a question, anyone have any experience with Baikal shotguns??
    Specifically the IZH-27 series

http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/prod/rifle/izh27m/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

PM chopperdog..he should be able to help ya!

• Advertisement

Just did degsy, hes being very helpful!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

He's a gentleman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You seem to be under a pretty tight budget and i dont think buying two guns you can barely afford right now would be a wise decision its gonna take a bit of time and more money for practice on these things to get good at it. A rifle might be slightly different where if you can sight it in you shouldnt have a huge amount of trouble hitting things with a scope but it practice to get really good a shotung is a different thing though you'd want to get a fair bit of shooting in to be constantly hitting things otherwise it wil end in alot of frustration and spent cartridges

I'd decide which you have more use for get it set everything up get used to it and then maybe in a few months when you can get more money buy another gun. I would buy the best you can within reason and you'll never have to change then

Have revised my budget and made some cutbacks elsewhere so ive got an extra few hundred to spend so the jobs oxo as they say

A bit off topic but heres one for the shotgun lovers out there,

SxS or O/U, Double triggers or Single?????

Let me know, nothing to do with buying a shotgun just wondreing what people think/prefer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

For clays... U/O Single trigger,
    For game ..S/S Double.

Advertisement