Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Licence

Options
  • 30-05-2006 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I have applied for my pistol licence on the 15th this month , How long should I wait before chasing the Guardi for the Cert? or should I chase them at all...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jacobo

slugster wrote:
    I have applied for my pistol licence on the 15th this month , How long should I wait before chasing the Guardi for the Cert? or should I chase them at all...
    I cannot give you an answer, but... which pistol, if I may inquire? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

A Glock 17 .... I originally wanted a CZ 75 Tactical Sport but our Buddies in the north were understandably hesitant about getting new stock in with a possible risk of a licence being refused. I shot My Dealers G17 and Liked it so opted for the lazey route..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This is another one those 'how long is a piece of string?' questions, as there are a load of variables at play.
    Mine recently took just over 3 weeks from initial application to having the licence in hand. I'm 'well got' with my local Gardai though, already having a bunch of licences for long guns, all the security stuff in place (2 safes, monitored alarm, etc), target shooting club membership, pistol safety course certificates, etc. Most important of all, my local Super isn't an 'anti'.
    All or none of these circumstances may apply in your case, and they'll all have a bearing one way or another on your application

It's been with your Firearms Officer for a fortnight now, so there'd be no great harm in giving them a call to see how things are going.
    Try to strike a balance between keeping up to date on the application, and making a nuisance of yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I would say that Rovi had a perfect application , all his ducks in a row. If your application has all the necessary documents and a Super that is not anti pistol, 3 to 4 weeks is the norm. Best yet is 24 Hrs for a IPSA member , and that for two pistols !

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Which station are you under?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

Rovi wrote:

It's been with your Firearms Officer for a fortnight now, so there'd be no great harm in giving them a call to see how things are going.
    Try to strike a balance between keeping up to date on the application, and making a nuisance of yourself :D

I chased up my application to find that it had not even reached the super. What I was told that they were seeking a certificate compliance partaining to my Gun club from the Garda ballistics in Dublin and that could take months. After clarifying that I had applied with Club Membership, Safe storage (purely my own choice for Family peace of mind) and with nothing untowards bearing on my character. I was told again that obtaining a pistol licence was VERY difficult and that the granting of such a licence was subject to the Gardai approving the Shooting grounds.

(Not one to seek aggravation) I had to resort to produce a 3. pointer script:

The requirment of a licence for any Shooting Grounds is unlawful under the firearms act for the following reasons:

1. The act does not give Superintendents any authority to seek authorisation where people will use their own licenced firearm.

2. In any event there is no licensing in act to require the licensing of shooting ranges.

3. The seeking of such a permit is an unlawful precondition to the granting of a firearms cert
    as already held by the High and Supreme courts as in the Gun safe case.

The attitude changed from an unwavering certinty to I'll submit the application to the Super today and get a Ye or Neigh back to you in a day or two.I was also told "The Gardai Club inspection is totaly voluntary"

Is there a code of conduct in place for the Gardai in relation to delaying or bargaining the type of Licence an individual is applying for?

If so how can it be invoked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Every Supernintendo is different from one district to the next and from what I gather it's not going to change in the immediate future with regards to the pistol license application process. At the moment they can delay, stall, rush through, refuse and grant(Supers) in any way they see fit, it's not right but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Riggser wrote:
    Every Supernintendo is different from one district to the next and from what I gather it's not going to change in the immediate future with regards to the pistol license application process. At the moment they can delay, stall, rush through, refuse and grant(Supers) in any way they see fit, it's not right but there you go.

Amen to that.Have handed mine now to a lawyer that wont do a "Lionel Hutz attornery ".[The Simpsons chacter who when confronted with heavy adversy shreiks and runs for the nearest door] Amazing how many solicitors there are out there who will run once "local Superintendant" is mentioned.:rolleyes:
    High court judical review on the horizion i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

slugster wrote:

hi there
    i wish to take up the sport of target shooting.
    can you tell me what the process is involved in applying for a gun licence (pistol) ? what application form do i use? and where can i get it from...

also in terms of pistol licencing, what are the restrictions as to use,
    are you limited to use on a shooting range, or can you use it on your own land for target practice?

whats involved in the application process for a pistol?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

can you tell me what the process is involved in applying for a gun licence (pistol) ? what application form do i use? and where can i get it from...

See here what...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

anyone within driving distance of mallow should call in and have a chat with pat hays was talking to him earlier and was very help full i would recomend it

Advertisement