Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to setup wireless link with laptop and desktop pc?

• 30-05-2006 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I recently got a laptop and I would like to link it with my desktop pc so that I can browse the files on my desktop pc and vice versa and transfer stuff back and forth. What do I need to do this and could I get something that would do this and also enable me to use my home braodband connection on my laptop? The laptop has wifi built in and bluetooth (although that doesn't seem to be working - won't recognise my phone even though I have it set to visible).

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Afaik all you need is another wireless card in the desktop PC. Have a look here and see if it makes any sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

You can use an ethernet cable and transfer files that way, Get a wireless router to share your internet connection..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

You can use an ethernet cable and transfer files that way, Get a wireless router to share your internet connection..

Don't have ethernet on my desktop (can I use USB?) Besides I really want wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You need a wireless router to share the internet, and a wireless card for the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Giles wrote:
    Don't have ethernet on my desktop (can I use USB?) Besides I really want wireless.

Dont think you can share files through usb but you can get an athernet card for 15 euro or so and there simple to install.. Or get a bluetooth dongle for you desktop and share files that way..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

nipplenuts wrote:
    You need a wireless router to share the internet, and a wireless card for the desktop.
    he could also use an adhoc wireless network instead of infastructure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Bluetooth is a non runner imo. It's too slow and range too limited.

You can go wired and purchase a ethernet network card for the PC without one. You can buy this network card in USB or PCI varieties. The advantage of wired over wireless is that it would be faster (100/1000 mbps vs 25 mbps).

As Jakkas correctly stated you could also buy a wireless card for PC and set up an adhoc network between it and the laptop. Advantage of this is that it allows more freedom of movement of laptop, disadvantage would be slower speeds in transfering files. But this would only be an issue if the files are v large (100Mb+)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Get an adsl modem/router with wireless capability. Your broadband comes into the modem/router, The PC conects to the router using a standard LAN cable. The one which currently connects it to the broadband modem. The Laptop connects to the PC and the Internet using its wireless capability. You share your files using a home/office network. Make sure you have a decent firewall configured to only allow your own computers access to the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

FSL wrote:
    Get an adsl modem/router with wireless capability. Your broadband comes into the modem/router, The PC conects to the router using a standard LAN cable. The one which currently connects it to the broadband modem. The Laptop connects to the PC and the Internet using its wireless capability. You share your files using a home/office network. Make sure you have a decent firewall configured to only allow your own computers access to the network.

That sounds pretty much perfect. So I'll be able to not only use my net connection wirelessly on my laptop but also browse my pc (and transfer files etc)? Interestingly, quite often I can access an unsecured wireless net connection on my laptop here in my apt. Must be a neighbour or something coz it ain't my BB that's for sure! Handy for updateing virus stuff etc. the speed is not bad at all either, did a little test and got a download speed of 60k a second!

Could you recommend something suitable for me FSL? As in brand/model where to buy. Nothing too crazy or expensive just something simple that will do the job and do it reasonably well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Linksys WRT54G or GS, perfect for what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Linksys WRT54G or GS, perfect for what you want.
    Note that the OP doesn't have an ethernet card, and it doesn't sound like he/she would feel confident installing one. I don't think the WRT54G/WRT54GS has a USB port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Foxwood wrote:
    =and it doesn't sound like he/she would feel confident installing one.
    It's the simple matter of plugging a usb ethernet network card in, so ethernet on PC is a real possibility and shouldn't be discounted as a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Giles wrote:
    enable me to use my home braodband connection on my laptop?
    Who are you getting your broadband from, and what make/model of "modem" did they provide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You could get a Linksys WAG54G (the modem/wireless router/switch all built in) and a USB wireless receiver for the PC.

Set up the WAG54G by plugging an ethernet cable into the laptop's network port (I assume it has one...) and configure it for BB depending on your ISP.

Then connect to it using your PC's wireless USB dongle, then connect to it with your laptop's wireless card.

Just make sure you've got wireless G cards so you can share files.

Good Luck

(by the way I'm sitting at my breakfast table eating, watching Frasier and my wireless router is on the 3rd floor... wireless is great :))

Advertisement