Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

www.cartell.ie - Vehicle records -check it out !

Options
  • 30-05-2006 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Have you heard about this site yet ?

I heard the add on my way home and decided to have a look. You can get everything from NCT due dates, tax due dates to service history and HPI reports !

Seems pretty good....................obviously it needs to ghet better but it probably will and may help buyers of used cars !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

About time too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Heard it on the radio this morning so had a look and it seems pretty ok. i put in my own details (Star 2) and the details where spot on it would.

No mileage record from the last NCT and if it was linked to main approved dealers they would be able to track the mileage from each service to ensure that clocking of cars was kept to a minimum.

Fair play to them its about time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Cool, says 2 star report is free. but they still want CC details???????

What company is running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No Vehicle Found For That Registration Number

... for two different cars.

EDIT: Remove the "-" in between the letters and numbers, and it works. Sloppy programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

kikel wrote:
    Cool, says 2 star report is free. but they still want CC details???????

What company is running it.
    It doesn't actually ask you to input the CC details, just need an email address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Very impressive. However, it states the NCT due date as last Feb for my car, which was done so it appears to be a little out of date. About time Irish car buyers had access to something like this, the taxi/commercial vehicle is a handy feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Very interesting. I'm off to check reg numbers of cars the family used to own years ago to see if any have survived the scrapman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I just put in a reg of a car that was written of last year and it lists the car as - "This vehicle is not recorded as Written Off".

Hmmmmm.........

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The details on mine hav'nt been updated, still says 2 owners and says the nct was up in january, but I put it through the nct in early april.

The missus bought a 00 scenic a few weeks back and the log book (vlc) says it has one previous owner, whereas this site says it has 2 and that it was sold on 27 jan last year. I'm going to assume the vlc is correct?

HEHEEH , it gives details for our old early 80's fiat mirafiori. It's down as a fiat 131, i assume it's the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It thinks my Hyundai Coupe is a Lantra?? Oh, and apparently it has 3 seats and 0 axles!
    It did, however get the date of sale right. Still has tax as being out of date, even though it was renewed about 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Stephen wrote:
    Oh, and apparently it has 3 seats and 0 axles!
    I've 6 axles but no doors :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have 4 seats, 5 doors and no axles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Stephen wrote:
    It thinks my Hyundai Coupe is a Lantra?? Oh, and apparently it has 3 seats and 0 axles!
    It did, however get the date of sale right. Still has tax as being out of date, even though it was renewed about 3 weeks ago.

My sisters Hyundai Coupe is on the VLC as a Lantra Coupe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Mine was accurate, except for the 0 axles.

By the way: you don't have to give them any personal information if you don't want. Leave everything blank except the e-mail address. And you can put a fake e-mail address if you're worried about spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very useful!

All info on my car was correct except the axles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

hmmm,
    Traded in my 00 car last year with a dealer
    This is what shows on the site

Last Date of Sale: 20-jun-2005
    Tax Expiry Date: 30-jun-2005
    This Vehicle is recorded as SCRAPPED VEHICLE DESTROYED

So the tax expiry date is for tax I had done.
    So either the dealer scrapped it ( which seems strange, since it was selling at the time for €10,000 and he had someone interested in looking at it when I was trading it in) or someody bought it and wrote it off nearly straight away!! :eek:

Checked several of my family's old cars from the 80s and early 90s. Not surprisingly all appear to have been scrapped. Although none of them are recorded as being scrapped or written off, when you see that the car was last taxed 10 years ago it is a pretty good indication that the car is a goner. I find this a bit saddening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

BrianD3 wrote:
    Although none of them are recorded as being scrapped or written off, when you see that the car was last taxed 10 years ago it is a pretty good indication that the car is a goner. I find this a bit saddening :(

I noticed the same thing! They are probably blocking a gap somewhere or else disposed of informally.

Interestingly I checked up a tractor I own that was written off by its previous owner after falling off a cliff (no one killed thankfully). It doesn't make any reference to the fact it was once written off even though I bought if for scrap value from the insurance co and repaired it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Anybody know where they actually source their data from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The National Vehicle and Driver File.

I havn't figured out how they are entitled to access to it yet, but I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    Checked several of my family's old cars from the 80s and early 90s

Stop doing that, the site has grounded to a halt now :)

unkel wrote:
    Stop doing that, the site has grounded to a halt now :)
    LOL I noticed that it started to crash alright. I'd say they're getting some serious traffic. I know I've already checked at least 30 cars since I spotted this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BrianD3 wrote:
    LOL I noticed that it started to crash alright. I'd say they're getting some serious traffic. I know I've already checked at least 30 cars since I spotted this thread.
    Me too:D

It doesn't seem to have some of Dads old cars that he had years go - like his 1974 Cortina!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Pretty intersting site, but doesn't seem that accurate. Just checked with an uncle's old '85 Carina (sold about 11 years ago - for some reason I never forgot the reg!), and it says it was never a taxi even though it defaintely was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Pretty intersting site, but doesn't seem that accurate. Just checked with an uncle's old '85 Carina (sold about 11 years ago - for some reason I never forgot the reg!), and it says it was never a taxi even though it defaintely was.
    Maybe your uncle never registered it as a taxi....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised.

Wow, the site's not responding at all now! I guess I'm not the only one wasting lunch time looking up every reg I can think of ^_^

I've put in a few pre 87 regs, from what I can see the system seems to have regs from about 1980-81 onwards but I'm not sure about earlier ones. I entered a few which I would have thought would be valid regs but they came up as not found.

Also, there are plenty of newer numbers that are not in the the system either. I picked out some random numbers to see what would come up but they came up as not found. Whether they were never issued in the first place or are omissions I don't know
    Eg 93WH500 is not there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

no mileage history so the reports aren't much good yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ...the system is only as good as the information that is in it.

Take my campervan for example. From the day of first registration (import) they had it down as a VW GOLF motorcaravan. I asked several times to have that corrected, without success.

The cartell site does say it was imported, it doesn't list previous owners or previous reg's ...even though that information was all available at import.

Some bureaucrat in shannon just couldn't be bothered to enter it.

Now I looked at a Merc 7 Seater Estate from carzone.
    Cartell lists that car as Unknown Make, Unknown Type, 2 seater van, taxed as private vehicle ...

Now ...is that Merc a really dodgy car or did someone in Shannon mess up when it was imported from the UK ???

Basically, you're as wise as you were before cartell

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not a bad site, something Ireland's been seriously lacking, and hopefully it'll improve over time. Unfortunate choice of name though. Is it a bad pun, or did they just not see it?

Advertisement