Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

www.cartell.ie - Vehicle records -check it out !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not a surprise that the database has errors. It's inevitable that humans make errors when doing paperwork or entering data into computers. I'd say many of the errors in the cartell database are due to dealers not getting the details right when registering new cars for customers. Eg one of our cars has its colour listed as grey instead of silver. Individual owners often won't be bothered informing the authorities of minor errors such as this so they never get fixed.

I still think the cartell database is fascinating and from what i've seen it's pretty accurate. I'd say the data in it is a lot more accurate than say the data in electoral registers maintained by local authorities. Electoral registers = can of worms :)

As someone mentioned in the classic cars forum it would be cool if you could search the cartell by make/model to see how many cars of a certain type were registered or survive etc.

I know myself from picking out random numbers that the Toyota Corolla, Carina, Avensis etc. are even more popular in this country than I thought. It seems like every 2nd registration that I've picked out belongs to a Toyota. This is one major reason why if you see a 15-20 year old car still on the road it's likely to be a Toyota as so many were bought in the first place. Of course Toyota longeveity and reliabiliity plays a part also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, so far any wrong number I put in by mistake ended up being a Toyota or Nissan!

From what I can see the records go as far back as whenever the NNN XXX (1-3 numbers, 3 letters) plates came into existance. For example, Limerick city was "TI" on the old system - If i put in anything with "xTI NNN" (dunno if it existed) or "NNNN TI" (which was used around '79-'81) I get nothing, but even "1 ATI" gets me something - a 1982 Mazda "Other" ^_^. I dunno about old Dublin plates as they were all over the place by 80's with their Z's and stuff.

It would be interesting to see what turns up if a pre-NNN XXX plate that's still on the road is put in...

Also, it seems they're a bit lacking regarding information about imports. I looked up my friend's Nissan March, and it said the original Japanese reg was "599SO1480", which is useless without saying what place in Japan it was registered in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I've got a couple of early '70s numbers no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Looks like the site is down now for "upgrading". I wonder when it comes back will the free 2 star check be gone. The normal price for the 2 star seems to be 25 euros per check which seems v. dear IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

fletch wrote:
    It doesn't actually ask you to input the CC details, just need an email address

A one star report lists the make but incorrectly identifies the model. A two start report is 25€ - I don't see any worthwhile free options....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No, the free option has disappeared.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the 25 Euro. Well ...maybe after having seen the car, if I'm in doubt. But as a pre-check its too expensive / too little information for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    No, the free option has disappeared.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the 25 Euro

Neither would I :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, its a bit of a rip alright. Id say overall they would have better sales if it was priced at €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The €40 one with the finance check might be worth it when you're buying privately though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Stephen wrote:
    The €40 one with the finance check might be worth it when you're buying privately though.

Isnt there a number you can ring for HPI checks and you'l be told for free over the phone if theres anything outstanding on it?

25e seems way too expensive,in comparison to the uk hpi check its years behind and way overpriced imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

yeah , overpriced like hell and you never gonna get full service history of the car and minimum info about jap imports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

How accurate are these? I entered the reg of a car I'm about to buy. It's an 01 reg. Dealer lists it as 1 previous owner. The report from Cartell lists the date of first registration, and a subsequent date of sale in March 05. Therefore, 2 previous owners. Before I ring dealer all irate, anyone else found mistakes? Everything else checked out - colour, NCT date etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

I believe it lists a trade in to a dealer as a previous owner as well. As the dealer is in a way buying the car off the previous owner, then he is listed as the second on the records. Thats my guess when i entered an old car of mine and had an unusually high number of owners in the time after me but then again i traded it into the dealer too :)

Advertisement