Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swap a single for a double..

Options
  • 30-05-2006 9:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I have a single barrel shotgun and i want to but a double,which i intend to do today.Is it simply a matter of just changing the details on the firearms cert or will i need to go through the whole shebang of licencising the new gun again..bearing in mind the delay involved and the fact that the renewal for teh single is due next month..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Yes, providing you are selling/getting rid of the single to the dealer.

Once you arrange to meet the Guard who deals with licencing issues, it should be done there and then. If you get a Guard not familiar with licencing, he/she will probebly put it in the relevant person's intray, which could take a good bit longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Curses!Just found out the place i'm buying it from probably wont take the single in trade.Should i just flog it to somebody else?

You won't be able to get the licence changed until someone else has licenced the single barrel & can legally take possession of it. If the dealer won't take a trade in, see if they'll hold it for a (short) while for a private sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Are you buying the new(er) gun in the same place as you bought the old one?
    If so, it's a bit of bad form on the part of the dealer if they won't trade it in.

Anyhow, is the single barrel a single shot or a repeater (semi-auto, pump, etc)?
    I don't think there's a whole lot of demand for single shot shotguns, so unless it's somehow unusual or rare or something, I doubt it's worth a whole lot on the second-hand market. Have you considered holding on to it, and getting a second licence for the new gun?
    Supplementary shotgun licences are only €6.

Most dealers don't take single barrel shotguns these days (with the exception at least a few years ago of 36" H&R sbbls, which were great sellers).

Rovi's plan re the second licence is best, the very least the dealer can do is hold onto the single barrel for a few weeks for you while you re-licence it.

It may cause a few raised eyebrows at the station when you dgo to change the details from the single to the double, and then reapply for the single, just explain you need the dbbl straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The single isn't anything fancy,a standard single shot..probably obselete these days.I dont really have room in my gun cabinet for the three guns(i've a rifle as well) so i'd idealy be looking to ditch the single somehow..TBH i'm not expecting a big trade in allowance or anything.

Advertisement