Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skirts over jeans?

• 30-05-2006 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭mcoolmcool

Hey what do people think of wearing skirts over jeans?

Ive seen alot of girls around wearing this and just wondered what people thought!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

No. Not ever. Horrible. It just looks stupid. (my opinion.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

No. Horrible. Don't do it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Funnily enough I only saw that this morning for the 1st time on my way into work... a girl crossed the road in front of my car wearing dark blue jeans and a bright pink skirt over it... I have to say I wouldn't do it but in fairness it looked quite well on her.. having said that she was about a size 4 :rolleyes: Btttcccch ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

I've not seen that since the late nineties, I didn't think people were doing it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I think it can look rather good (if done with a bit of sense), the skirt should highlight the curves of the hips and ass, further enhanced and contrasted by the pants. You could get a psych student to read further in to that if you like, I can't be arsed.

Same reason combats can look fantastic on chicks, as long as it cups the ass nicely, the bagginess down the leg will contrast - gives the mind something more to handle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Nickgrime

I never got that either, I mean dont get me wrong I think it looks good on a girl, But what happeded did a girl wake up one morning and couldnt decide what to wear a skirt or jeans, so she decided to put on both!!
    Any who each to their own!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

nah dont.. too waaaaay to rock and emo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i duite like it, but i am not skinny enough for it really. i do tend to wear jeans wit long tops though.

Wear leather chaps and a skirt down to the top of the knee.

in642132_17975.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I sometimes wear a see through lace skirt over my flares or maybe a black and white tartan skirt, and I think it looks nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I wear my skinny jeans with long dreeses/shirts over them all the time. Does that look dodge too??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

yes, it does. It still looks like you are incapable of dressing yourself...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love it, complete thumbs up!
    Should be a pretty short skirt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i do it sometimes. apparently its totally out of fashion which is why most people will say dont do it, but somtimes i would wear a nice wrap skirt over my black jeans to add a bit of colour or something. each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

Seraphina wrote:
    i do it sometimes. apparently its totally out of fashion which is why most people will say dont do it, but somtimes i would wear a nice wrap skirt over my black jeans to add a bit of colour or something. each to their own

I agree, it never suited me which is why I didn't do it but the most 'stylish' people are ones who stick to their own fashion and don't follow the trends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I think it can be kinda cool, depends on the skirt of course.

Its really going for the "cute" as opposed to "hot" look, which will suit some more than others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I think it looks pretty cool, I don't think iId wear it though. I think it looks cool when you get a wrap or scarf type thing and wrap it around over jeans

I think it can be kinda cool, depends on the skirt of course.

Its really going for the "cute" as opposed to "hot" look, which will suit some more than others...
    It's all in the eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It can look good as long as the overall effect isn't too bulky imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ive taken to wearing dresses over the pants. can suit those of us who are roundy. dont show off much leg but still be all purdy in a dress. good belt makes you less conciosus of hte belly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

just NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I like it, it depends on the skirt though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

shirt dresses can b ok wit jeans, its the whole skirt over trousers thing that died a deathn in late 90's.......... remember when they used to actually sell the trousers wit the skirt bit at the front attatched............

D-O-D-G-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭mcoolmcool

Yeah I remember those trousers with the skirt attached!!

What were they even called?

Im wearing a skirt over jeans today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

no way to skirs over jeans...
    but i do like the little ra ra skirts with the coloured leggins or tights form "a-wear" with the lace on the ends..

they look good on everyone else but me, cos the skirt looks tiny im so tall..

actually remember havein a beautiful white dress with an Indian type design oin it when i was a kid with the pants to match it... i thought it was lovely, my aunt got it from India... i wore it non stop...
    Yeah I remember those trousers with the skirt attached!!

What were they even called?
    -mcoolmcool

i do believe they were called skirt pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭mcoolmcool

lasair wrote:
    no way to skirs over jeans...
    but i do like the little ra ra skirts with the coloured leggins or tights form "a-wear" with the lace on the ends..

they look good on everyone else but me, cos the skirt looks tiny im so tall..

actually remember havein a beautiful white dress with an Indian type design oin it when i was a kid with the pants to match it... i thought it was lovely, my aunt got it from India... i wore it non stop...

i do believe they were called skirt pants[/QUOTE

They were called skirt pants!!

I thought they would have been called something like Skousers or something!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Dudett

I love the skirt over jeans thing, Ive been doing it for years on and off,

It can create a whole new outfit. And can look great if done right!

Im not too fond of the wearing a denim skirt over jeans!!

I did see a girl wearing a denim skirt over tracksuit bottoms the other day and it has stuck in my mind.

What do you think of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Tracksuit bottoms should only be worn at the gym!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TheMurrinator

well skirts with footlose tights- or half tights whatever you call them look nice? If thats what your talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i think its nice depending on the skirt (definately not tartan) and with skinny/bootleg jeans so it doesnt look too bulky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I do this all the time cos its damn comfy.
    So i say yes, cos who cares what everyone else thinks if you like it?
    Better than all those stupid footless leggings that are out at the mo anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

mcoolmcool wrote:
    Hey what do people think of wearing skirts over jeans?

Ive seen alot of girls around wearing this and just wondered what people thought!

Agree. Like a poor excuse for a fashion statement. Then again, I noticed that several girls at a nearby grade school were wearing this combination and asked one why. You know what she said? The school had a dress code that did not allow girls to wear jeans, but if they wore a skirt over them, the jeans somehow got classified as underwear and couldn't be challenged. You may think this strange or humorous when reading it? Well, I live in Bushyland, so what would you expect from such a backwards place?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

If the leggings weren't footless wouldn't they be tights????

I've seen people do the shirtdress over jeans thing and carry it off (again funnily enough always very thin girls) but generally I think it looks too much like they're trying too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

well skirts with footlose tights- or half tights whatever you call them look nice? If thats what your talking about!

that rarely looks good.you have to be very thin and it can look very pikey looking i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

looks good ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

galah wrote:
    No. Not ever. Horrible. It just looks stupid. (my opinion.)

Haha Mine too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

My housemate wear dresses over jeans a lot and it looks great on her. I couldn't carry it off though. I'd rather just wear the dress by itself.

I think its stupid of people to say its 'not fashionable' as if there was a fashion Bible or something. I wear skirts over jeans all the time, mainly cos I have loads of skirts and I don't get any use out of them in winter unless I wear jeans as well (don't really like wearing tights and boots every day), and I think they dress up a plain outfit a lot. It's not as if I wear cheap looking stretchy layer skirts over cheap trousers in the same material (like the trend of sewing the skirt onto the trousers), my skirts are nice and light, with Indian designs and stuff, they're really made for wearing over trousers. I love the look of tying a scarf thing around the top of the jeans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

I think its funky.
    Id never get away with it though, only certain people could. Thin kind of boho-ish girls carry it off very well. The ones ive seen anyway.

Not rich 14 yr olds with a pile of fake tan with leggings and a ra ra skirt though.
    They just look stupid.

Saw a girl yesterday with a shortish lightweight skirt layered over a longer skirt with jeans underneath and it looked really good and she had a vest top on. It was real summery and suited the weather.

It didnt look buky at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I'm actually one of those girls who wear skirts over a pair of jeans regularly and I have one skirt in particular that I love. It's 3-quarter length so it's quite long as I'm short and I must say, I've been given alot of compliments as to how I wear it. The skirt over jeans thing is comfortable and I think it's funky too as Grem said. Each to their own I suppose...

Saw a few people with this look at Guns n Roses yesterday and it looked good on maybe 1 person. Doesn't seem to suit overweight people at all.

Aspiration wrote:
    I'm actually one of those girls who wear skirts over a pair of jeans regularly and I have one skirt in particular that I love. It's 3-quarter length so it's quite long as I'm short and I must say, I've been given alot of compliments as to how I wear it. The skirt over jeans thing is comfortable and I think it's funky too as Grem said. Each to their own I suppose...

Ive never seen that type of skirt worn over jeans, would like to see that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

It's a Vila Skirt. Beige, asymetric with chiffon over patterened material and sequins going into a slight V and also down the side. I wear it over a pair of black jeans. It's one of those skirts where it would look pretty on its own, but of course I'd have to go the opposite of what everyone else is thinking :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Oobie wrote:
    Saw a few people with this look at Guns n Roses yesterday and it looked good on maybe 1 person. Doesn't seem to suit overweight people at all.
    speaking as a twenty ton whale :D i think dresses over pants can do a lot for the rounder population, or me at least.

Tree wrote:
    speaking as a twenty ton whale :D i think dresses over pants can do a lot for the rounder population, or me at least.

Didn't mean to offend - just going by what I saw the other day. I think it made the girls in question look heavier but perhaps the fact that it was so hot and they were wearing way too many clothes made it look worse than it was.

no offence taken :D i get too many compliments about my dresses and trousers combo :) customers like to ask wher i got the dress and are most disappointed when i tell them i got it in the plus section and we've nothing similar in core range :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

the trousers/jeans with a mini skirt worn over it is so 5 years ago dont go there. that said a nice summer skirt over jeans can look interesting as can some of the dresses/really long tops ive seen people wear over jeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pixietrixie

I actually like this style and think it can look really well!!

I took a picture of an outfit I had on last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Nickgrime

I saw loads of that in town at the weekend there!!

Loads of girls wearing skirts over jeans!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement