Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on wild bird

Options
  • 30-05-2006 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Yesterday my neignbours cat caught a small bird, I managed to get it back, seems unhurt, but I dont think its an adult, only a chick, maybe a Robin. Anyway it wont eat or drink, when it trys to fly it will fly for a few yards, then rest on somting, I dont think it can fly fully yet. I plan on bringing it to the vet today, but if anyones got any advice or where I could bring it to I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Be prepared for it to die. The shock keeps them going for a few days so just keep him comfortable. The vet may be able to help so go for it. But i've yet to see a bird taken in after a run in with a cat get up and fly away.

Fair play to you for even caring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Heat is hugely important for any sick bird, so try to keep it hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Is there a tree or tall shrub you can put him in? The parents are likely to be still around and it's the best option all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭nubbintom

Hate posting this but the bird died bout 10 mins ago :( that just put a dent in my day, was hoping it would turn out OK. But thanks for the advice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Well like 6th said the shock alone of a run in with a cat is enough to see off most of their victims. I've been around cats for about 20 years now and I don't recall seeing anything last too long after even a relatively small mauling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have to keep a constant eye on my cat, last week I rescued a frog from him in the back garden. The frogs spawn in my pond every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

Happened to me last summer too. A baby swallow fell out of its nest (under the eaves) and I found it under my car. It wasnt quite ready to fly yet, it was just flying a few yards and then stopping. I put him into an old slipper and gave him a couple of soaked dog nuts. Every couple of hours I'd prop him onto some shrubs in my garden and keep an eye on him. Nothing happened for about three days, but then he started to try and fly and he eventually got the hang of it and flew away.

I was very chuffed! ;)

Advertisement