Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price conversions, What do we actually pay?

Options
  • 30-05-2006 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

How do you work out what a gun is going to cost in Ireland, besides guessing.
    Most price lists are in dollars from firearm companies, so how do you work out what you will actually be paying when you get to the counter of your local gun shop exactly!

Is there much VAT put on guns when they enter Ireland?
    Do you actually get a fair deal , or is it like always another part of rip-off Ireland???

Anybody? Especially someone who may work in a gun shop

Im not saying we are getting ripped-off by the way its just a question

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I recently saw a quote for a rifle here , €1800 or thereabouts ..
    The same rifle stateside has a list price of $850 ...and no-one pays list...:mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Only way to know if you getting a good price in Ireland is to shop around alot down south and up north. When I was buying my .223 there was a €400 diff between what I paid and the highest quote I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Generally, you can take the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) in U.S. Dollars, put an Euro symbol in front of that figure, and add a bit (or a lot).

As jaycee says, no-one in the States pays MSRP... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If you want a bargain do the following,

Shop around and let the sellers know this.

Pay cash (list prices include an extra margin to cover trade-ins, credit card costs etc).

You'll get better deals on dearer guns - seller stills makes a decent profit with a smaller markup.

If you're looking for accessories, buy them with the gun, they have a much bigger markup, so the dealer can offset the discounts against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Fair enough

thanks for the help in clearing that up

Next obvious question is why bother with list prices then???

• Advertisement

newby.204 wrote:
    Fair enough

thanks for the help in clearing that up

Next obvious question is why bother with list prices then???

Thats List price in the US not here there are List prices here as well. I got the irish list price for my rifle from the main Tikka wholesaler before I bought it and beat it by a few hundred. In fact if anyone is buying Tikka, Sako or CZ id recomend my dealer he's in Cork though.

Anyone any experience with these two???

Tallaght Rod & Gun Shop
    unit 2 Castletymon s.c., Tallaght, Dublin24.

Angling & Shooting Centre
    Ballydowd, Lucan, Dublin.

If you have and have any reccomendations let me know

Outdoor Hobby in Leixlip would be closer then those to you. If you go back through the old threads on this board there is one all about specfic gun dealers.

Tried ringing them they didnt answer

newby.204 wrote:
    Tried ringing them they didnt answer

Then id say they were busy and u should try again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Funny i just did he told me to bring the gun over, but because it would be third hand when he sells it on i wouldnt get original price i paid, didn expect to, but id like it to be close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

newby.204 wrote:
    ...but because it would be third hand...
    Apart from brand new in the box, or very few shots fired, the number of previous owners of a gun is of little or no bearing. It's all about condition, general wear & tear, and careful storage and maintenance.

Two sequentially numbered and otherwise identical guns could be worth vastly different amounts.
    A 'one owner' gun that's battered and scraped, full of dirt and obviously rarely (or never) cleaned, speckled with rust, and 'shot out' to the point of falling apart will be practically worthless.
    Its 'identical twin' that was obviously well cared for and kept clean and tidy, complete with its extra chokes and choke key, and possibly even in its gunslip with the owner's manual, will always be worth something worthwhile, no matter how many owners it's had.

Rovi wrote:
    Its 'identical twin' that was obviously well cared for and kept clean and tidy, complete with its extra chokes and choke key, and possibly even in its gunslip with the owner's manual, will always be worth something worthwhile, no matter how many owners it's had.

Well im proud to say i have the identical twin,gun is immaculate.
    have all the original bits and bobs beretta gun oil, chokes(all four original), choke key, tools that came with, i have the case, sling swivels are mounted, sling(its gammy but its there.) aAnd a few slips of paper with beretta on them.(info on the chokes etc)

I havnt fired it much, im not a heavy shotgun user and thats why im trading it in sooo quickly, exceeds me needs its clean as a whistle inside and out, i even cleaned the case just because. If i could post pics i would!

Advertisement