Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Happening - People are talking about discontiuing the 56K modem

Options
  • 30-05-2006 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this.

http://digg.com/hardware/Do_Modems_Still_Matter_

I'm hearing the same stuff from friends it other countries more and more.

Goes to show how far Ireland is behind, when most people here are still dependant on the 56K modem due to being too far from the exchange at only 6 Km - even if all of the exchanges eventually get upgraded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Further supporting that is Apple Computer's decision to stop including a built in modem in all of their desktop and notebook computers. They obviously no longer think that their customers use it.

For example, the iBook used to include a built in modem in all models. It was just replaced by the MacBook earlier this month, which no longer does (though it does include gigabit ethernet, wifi and bluetooth)! If you want to still use an analogue 56k modem, you have to fork out for a USB adapter. I predict other manufacturers will follow suit, if they haven't already started doing so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

New Dells starting shipping before Christmas 2006 will no longer have a modem built in . By the time they end of line some of their current models in Feb 2007 or March 2007 it will probably not be possible to buy a laptop from Dell in Europe with a modem built in , certainly not a Dell Latitude .

Dell may keep a cheap one on the market for poor countries like the Inspiron 1300 and that may have a modem built in for a while. Us Irish country people better buy one this year so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

They've stopped updating the firmware on my USB ISDN modem. Were stuck in the past while the rest of the world moves on. Thanks Noel!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I knew we should have bought those modems Sponge Bob was offering to get a few months ago.

Actually personally I always used external modems as the lightning damage tended to be limited to modem and/or serial port rather than motherboard.

I have a box load of 28k / 33k internal ISA modems if anyone interested?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am country like you Watty, externals only for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There will still be some demand for 56K modems for the forseeable future. They're not completely dead and burried yet. They're just not going to be as popular as they once were. It'll go the same way as the floppy drive.

If you want a modem you'll be able to get a USB version quite easily.

Modems still come in handy for the once in a blue moon occasion when you want to send a fax, or like today when my DSL connection's gone down ... still haven't gotten ot the bottom of that one yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Solair wrote:
    Modems still come in handy for the once in a blue moon occasion when you want to send a fax, or like today when my DSL connection's gone down ... still haven't gotten ot the bottom of that one yet!
    Yeah, they also come in handy when the fact of the matter is you'll never get broadband and you'll only ever be able to connect to the Internet with a 56k modem (at 33.6k). Viva la Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

the broadband issue in Ireland makes me sick with exchanges not being enabled and with companies like lastmile wireless milking customers :mad: :mad:

Advertisement