Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British day

Options
  • 30-05-2006 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5028496.stm

Well looks like Gordon Brown thinks British day is a good idea, but what is being "British" mean today?

Seeing as Scotland/Wales is supporting devolution and perhaps full independance, then perhaps it should be called English day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Looks like they want a day for everyone to celebrate their achievments and unity. Can't blame anyone for doing that. Or maybe they want their own (successful) version of Paddies day :D

this article explains more about it;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4611682.stm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

magick wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5028496.stm

Well looks like Gordon Brown thinks British day is a good idea, but what is being "British" mean today?

Seeing as Scotland/Wales is supporting devolution and perhaps full independance, then perhaps it should be called English day?

I dont think the Britsh know what they are at the moment tbh.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

do we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes Polish!

Mike.

do we?
    Know who the Brits are?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

nurse_baz wrote:
    do we?

Yes. We dont have two conflicting ideas of nationality, on this part of the island anyway. Whatever about the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What's British? Monty Python, Black Pudding, Fried Slice, warm ale and a pork pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

"It's fascinating, and surprising, that an event from medieval history has come out above VE Day, all the more so when you consider that it's a constitutional rather than a militaristic moment that's been chosen," he said.

and why should this be surprising? not that Ireland can say much???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why don't they just make St George's Day a holiday instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭GOAT_Ali

The Scots and Welsh don't fool me with their claims for independence and devolution. They are more loyal to the Crown than the English themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Blisterman wrote:
    Why don't they just make St George's Day a holiday instead?

Well the other non-English British wont be happy in chooseing Englands patron saint's day as their National Holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

GOAT_Ali wrote:
    The Scots and Welsh don't fool me with their claims for independence and devolution. They are more loyal to the Crown than the English themselves

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I imagine that the Welsh and Scottish have more to lose from independence than the English do.
    Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭GOAT_Ali

Care to elaborate?

I presume you are Scottish then. Well it's just that I see Scottish people having a very strong allegiance to the whole Britain and Crown 'thing'....well at least that is what comes across in Northern Ireland. They love the crown and love the Union.....Not all of them, there are those who claim to despise the English. But the English are the dominant contry and they are the rulers of the Union

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I'm too hungover to argue, have a good weekend ;)

English are the dominant contry and they are the rulers of the Union
    I think the whole "British day" thing is trying to shy away from comments like this. I can see it getting a few peoples backs up.

edit: it does seem kind of true though, westminister seems to call the shots for the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,756 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree Unpossible but it's most definitely the reality...I'll always remember Ian Botham at a British awards ceremony when he came out with the quote "it's a great day to be an Englishman".....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

raaaacist. how dare they have a british day. it's appalling. and some others hippy crap that the liberals will come up with. don't want to upset the immigrants, now. do we?

i don't see why they shouldn't have a day to celebrate their britishness.
    we have paddy's day. the french have bastille day. australia day. and so on.

Why do they not celebrate the forming of the UK ?

Unpossible wrote:
    Why do they not celebrate the forming of the UK ?

Thats an interesting one actually.

I was listening to one of BBC Radios night time talk shows a couple of months back and they talked about the birth of their country and stateing it was [SIZE=-1]1707...well that just set off the unionists who started calling in and correcting them....the BBC...that their country was created in 1801...or should that be 1922.....

Well if they cant even pinpoint the date of their country's (UK) formation....how can they celebrate being British?
    [/SIZE]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Unpossible wrote:
    Looks like they want a day for everyone to celebrate their achievments and unity. Can't blame anyone for doing that. Or maybe they want their own (successful) version of Paddies day :D

this article explains more about it;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4611682.stm

Ye there just jealous, we have it all! There jealous of all our achievments including,

The wind that shakes the barley

Munya wrote:

The wind that shakes the barley

A great achievement for British cinema....according to almost ALL the British newspapers:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

zuma wrote:
    Thats an interesting one actually.

I was listening to one of BBC Radios night time talk shows a couple of months back and they talked about the birth of their country and stateing it was [SIZE=-1]1707...well that just set off the unionists who started calling in and correcting them....the BBC...that their country was created in 1801...or should that be 1922.....

Well if they cant even pinpoint the date of their country's (UK) formation....how can they celebrate being British?
    [/SIZE]

oh yeah I keep forgetting about NI, hmm 1922, do you have to go to the very last date, should it not be the very first date?

hmm act of union signed into parliament on march 26th 1707, sounds like the right date, spring too so nice weather for celebrations?

er who exactly ruled Ireland in 1707? oh **** is seems like it was the english king so, that doens't quite todays defnition of britain either.

and maybe Brown picked the 1st of may not as some way of screwing over the unions, but because of this "The Acts of Union were two Acts of Parliament passed in 1707 (taking effect on 1 May)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707

I dont think the formation date of the union is the date Ireland left it. That would be like saying that the date the USA was formed is the date that Alaska (sp?) and Hawaii joined.
    march 26th 1707 sounds like the right date
    So was that when the union was first announced/formed ? When did they put the union jack together.

No offence to NI unionists but you are not the centre of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Unpossible wrote:
    I dont think the formation date of the union is the date Ireland left it.

The majority of Ireland left it

So was that when the union was first announced/formed ? When did they put the union jack together.

1707 created the Kingdom of Great Britain after England (with Wales) and Scotland joined monarchies.

1801 saw the joining together of the Kingdom of Great Britain & the Kingdom of Ireland (then under English rule with an English King). This is the date that the United Kingdom of GB & Ireland was created. This lasted until 1918 when Ireland decided to become a Republic but the election was not recognised by Britian. In 1922 the UK was officially split into what it is today after Ireland was partitioned into the Irish Free State (later RoI) and NI. Now the UK consists of the Kingdom of Great Britain and a small bit of the (old) Kingdom of Ireland. The current Union Jack was created in 1801 with the addition of the St. Patrick saltire to signify Ireland joining the union.

In other words, many British people have no idea what embodies UKness.

No offence to NI unionists but you are not the centre of the UK

Neither are the Welsh or Scots, the English are the centre of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah, I don't think that the British have any clue anymore as to who they are!

On the one-hand you have the Campaign for real ale, pork pie and hot-pot, the Royal Family, Eton, Cambridge, Oxford, Monty Python, Blackadder etc which are traditionally British.

On the other hand you have many British born Muslims, Seikhs and other non-Christians who do not want their national holiday to be in celebration of a Christian Saint.

They are really messed up when it comes to any sense of national identity. It really is a country of many different and distinct communities that have practically nothing in common or desire to mix with one another.

The majority of Ireland left it
    sorry I meant when the free state was formed.

Advertisement