Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well the Ultra-D Mod went well but....

Options
  • 30-05-2006 1:16pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Well the good news is the mod of my Ultra-D to SLi went well with a fairly nifty solder from my uncle.

The bad news is I have two 7800GTs that won't fit side by side due to the size of their (different) VGA coolers. :(

Has anyone got a SLi setup with non-stock coolers on? I have one with a Arctic 5 cooler and one with a Zalman V700.

The only way they will physically fit into the slots is if the one with the Zalman goes into the 'master' slot. But the fan wont spin because it is touching the heatsink of the 'slave' 7800. :mad:

Pain in the ass...

Recommend any good VGA coolers that work in SLi??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

watercooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Stock coolers or water cooling, i don't know of any non-stock VGA coolers for the 7800 series that don't take up two slots.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

hmm - that is a bitch. for the sake of about 2mm and the fan would rotate. :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

you could get a non solid SLI bridge and spread the cards slightly:eek:

I think the arctic cooling Accelero X1 only uses around 1 and 3/4 of a slot instead of the 2 slots of the silencer.......

I also have a smaller backplate for the 7800gt if you think it would help?

I used the original one as it helps cooling and gets fairly warm so its doing something.........

I think i need to rethink it - even if I made enough room to allow the Zalman fan to spin I'd only have a couple of mil clearance which may not be enough to keep it cool.

One of these for the card with the zalman looks like my escape:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=91
    artic wrote:
    The Accelero X1 is SLI compatible with all mainboards and offers in such a configuration exactly the same performance.

Might do the trick - dunno about performance though....

/EDIT - just copped on thats what you recommended Conzy...apologies :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've ordered the Accelero X1 off overclockers.

What a bitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ive heard good things about the accelero's

im still waiting for the s1 version to come out for the 7900gts, i need it bad, LOL

gline wrote:
    im still waiting for the s1 version to come out for the 7900gts, i need it bad, LOL

You make it sound like crack-cocaine..."I just need one more hit, just one more hit"

Good news about the cooler though - I'm just really gutted i've hit this hurdle - had two days off work to get the mod done, the cards set up and then do some benching - it'll be next week again before I have the time.

Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

You make it sound like crack-cocaine..."I just need one more hit, just one more hit"

Good news about the cooler though - I'm just really gutted i've hit this hurdle - had two days off work to get the mod done, the cards set up and then do some benching - it'll be next week again before I have the time.

Silly me.

u think that is bad.. ive been waiting weeks for all my parts to come in to build the 805 rig, now i need to get more, took 2days off last week to build and test aswell. and im waiting on a watercooling block over 2weeks now that is stuck in customs (it came from france) for some reason??? :confused:

customs shouldn't be bothered with anyting from france the gits. Thought they'd have their work cut out with US trade...

Greedy bastards - first they want our green diesel now our EU trade goods. *shakes fist*

• Advertisement
Advertisement