Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft bills wandering the halls of Congress.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmm, a tax on the young.

This is actually quite similar to the model used in quite a few European countries, although it tends to be for only a year, give or take.
    Hobbes wrote:
    18-42 years of age. I wonder what the age profile is in congress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

To be fair, there's nearly always at least one nutty bill floating around Washington, and quite often one of them is a draft bill. Which isn't the same as saying it won't proceed. After all, if a bill can pass without anyone reading it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if a 15-month draft is the solution to his problem. It just means lots of people get trained, but not necessarily well enough to serve overseas, thereby creating a burden on the army, when it is already overburdened.

I suspect treating ordinary soldiers and their families as human beings (and, uh, voters in an election year), would be much more useful. Sorting things like pay, conditions, housing, equipment & spares and cutting out the constant changes that just make people fed up with the life would make a huge change.

Getting rid of some of the Pentagon Generals with MBAs might also be good. "It's not just in time - its just to late".

Manic can say alot more.

Note, not invading a a whole country with less than half the army you had last time (when you only invaded a bit) might also be a useful point. However than doesn't solve the current problem

Advertisement