Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want to go faster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Damn - my seats don't fold down:D

What am I gonna do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Empty your glovebox. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

It has no extra weight in the car, all glove compartments, cubby holes and the boot is empty. The rear exhaust may or may not add power. It has only ever run on Optimax, I know you get more boost out if this fuel on bigger engined cars but every little helps. The tyres are always inflated to 38 PSI to give extra grip and less tyre slouch. Often I put the rear seats flat, this reduces weight. (Like why you crawl flat across a frozen pond so as not to break the ice). I regularly drive with around £10 of fuel, again weight saving, and often I use engine cleaner in the fuel load to remove debris from the fuel injectors. The car is always clean improving aerodynamic progress. I have timed the 0 - 60 at 9.3 seconds, and this shaves a couple of seconds off the standard time.

If only he had got the exhaust spinner too :)

EDIT:

It actually sounds like a weird vesion of this:
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

He clearly doesn't get the difference between mass and weight distribution.

folding teh seat down makes it lighter!1!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thread's been edited, anyone care to explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The good stuff is all there, see maidhc's post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

The tyres are always inflated to 38 PSI to give extra grip
    This would give less grip as there would be less of a contact patch.....never read so much tripe in all my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

fletch wrote:
    This would give less grip as there would be less of a contact patch.....never read so much tripe in all my life!

It depends really, its entirely possible, but in this case the guy is clearly a bit simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

It depends really, its entirely possible, but in this case the guy is clearly a bit simple.

No no he really understands the physics behind his solutions as he later described; "The rear seat thing, It is rare that I fold them down, but it has to be said that when folded they remove a bit of weight. Vertical seats exert more downward force because the energy is focused on a smaller surface area. When horizontal, the weight is spread and so is less per Centimetre squared."

He, he fantastic stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bluehair wrote:
    No no he really understands the physics behind his solutions as he later described; "The rear seat thing, It is rare that I fold them down, but it has to be said that when folded they remove a bit of weight. Vertical seats exert more downward force because the energy is focused on a smaller surface area. When horizontal, the weight is spread and so is less per Centimetre squared."

He, he fantastic stuff! :D

Well I guess it does lower the centre of gravity, so at least he might get better handling, not that anyone is going to notice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

[wiggles glasses] Basically he means is he has lowered the COG thereby reducing the lateral, logitudinal and diagonal load transfer.

The effect of this in this case however is not really a resultant one.

[/wiggles glasses]
    seats exert more downward force because the energy is focused on a smaller surface area

Seriously WTF. Its gravity, it aint got no "surface area". Unless he means air\gas\fluid pressure, in that case his theory is blown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Anyone watch "Vroom-Vroom" on Sky1, where they modified an Astra Estate?
    They patched up all the vents/gaps on the car with masking tape, and added exhausts, air filters, removed seating and added an octane booster to the fuel!
    I think they knocked in total 1.5 seconds off the 1/4 mile time!

Advertisement