Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a great Idea?

Options
  • 30-05-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

I would have thought this might be the last forum i'd visit - no offence i just dont have a head for business - but i've been sitting on a great idea/design for a childrens toy (ish) and dont know how to proceed.

Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

All i would say is be careful what you consider a great idea because someone else might think it's crap however assuming it is a great idea you need to establish is there a viable, accessible and large enuf market for it, that's the rub - have you got or can you get customers to buy your idea - if you can establish that, then you're off.

Design - prototype - test market - refine - cost analysis - capital - personnel - marketing - distribution - manufacture etc etc etc:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Good advice, cheers. Am just afraid i'm too lazy and nothing will come of it. I've shown 2 close friends and they both love it. Thats not enough though i know.

I mean how do i go about approaching a company to look at the idea? and how do i protect myself from them just nicking the idea and tweaking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

That's very difficult and a big problem for a lot of people, I've just had a proposal kicked back but the buggers can still use my ideas - bummer!,

You should do a little more market research - secretly and on the sly, mask it up as best you can - this takes time but you really need more data than 2 people....besides, friends won't tell you the truth so you need better info because any company you approach will ask what data you have - enterprise Ireland may listen to you or shannon development (County enterprise boards are a bunch of w£$&ers so keep away but enterprise or shannon could be good!).

Try some product design companies and get then to sign a non-disclosure agreement, they'll give you feedback and may even take it on as well, Google :cool: product design

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Might be an idea to write the idea down and send it to yourself via registered post. At least if and when (the longer you go without doing it, and the more people you tell, make it more likely it'll be when rather than if) someone goes ahead and actually does it, you'll have prior art.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Draw the concept out clearly , write COPYRIGHT (Date of day before first pitch) 2006 MOX all over it, post by registered post along with copy of the 'pitch' data to your solicitor. Tell hime keep sealed.

Its called The Corkmans Patent . You can prove breach of copyright for 56 years from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

wow remind me not to piss any of you guys off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Get your pen and paper, or computer and keyboard, in front of you and at the end of the paper write down your end goal and what will make this successful.

At the top of the paper note your current situation, and make a map of what steps you need to reach the end goal. Begin with the end in mind - Your goal shouldn't be something so huge it seems unattainable. Small goals to reach a larger one are often a more effective way of reaching them.

Next look around, has anyone implemented a similiar idea to yours, if so how did they go about it? learn from their mistakes and good luck.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

It might also be worth trying some test sales at a local market or faire? Make a few test units, see if the general public like them. If they sell you are on to a winner, if not, then you have not wasted a load of money!

Make sure you have done some of the copyright ideas above though!

Advertisement