Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass-Guitar amp

• 30-05-2006 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I play in a metal band and i am a guitarist however as any metal band members will tell you it's hard to find a metal bassist.
    So I'm thinkin of fillin' in on the 4-string for a while as I can get a bass guitar easy enough but I dont have the funds for the bass amp.
    Could anybody tell me if it's possible to play a bass through a Marshall guitar amp and could this be done safely i.e. the amp wont blow or something.
    Im aware it'll probably sound crap but it's jus to get the idea of the bass on the tracks.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I think that you'd probably get away with it if you were practicing at home with a low volume but it's a different story if you're playing with a full band (ie loud drums and guitars) the guitar amp just won't cut it. I reckon that as you try to increase the volume to keep up with the band the sound from the amp will just get increasingly distorted and not in a nice way.

As the speakers on guitar amps were designed to handle the milder mid frequencies of the guitar, running the much lower bass frequencies of a bass guitar through it may cause much worse longer term damage than it's worth.

If you value your marshall I wouldn't risk running a bass through it at loud volumes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement