Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Tries to Be Ambitious and Fails As Usual

Options
  • 30-05-2006 5:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Breakingnews.ie
    The Minister for Communications says he hopes that the testing of digital terrestrial television pictures in Ireland will be underway by the autumn.

The broadcasting trials will take place for two years. The Dáil has been told that testing of digital TV will initially take place in the North-East and Dublin.

Noel Dempsey says the present system of analogue TV should be a thing of the past by 2012.

“Switch off of analogue television services is being strongly advocated by the European Commission with 2012 a target date suggested by the Commission,” the Minister said today.

“Decisions have been taken about the nature and timing of analogue switch-over. It will be necessary to ensure that Irish viewers are fully informed of all the issues arising.”

No action words like WILL or SHALL or ENSURE for Noel. All aspiration lite crap. In other words :

"I will do sweet **** all this side of an election about digital TV in case grannys think I will be robbing their tellies off them and throwing them in the Boyne and Bertie will blame me for costing FF seats all over the country for telly robbing off frightened grannies and then after the election this time next year this job will go to someone else and I hope I get Finance or Foreign Affairs this time so that some other eejit who actually understands all this digital ****e can fix it up coz I'll be gone so I will , and **** them anyway coz I don't care "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Why are they testing this in the Northeast and Dublin !?

It would make soo much more sense to test the technology somewhere it might actually have uptake i.e. the west/midlands and southwest. There is very high cable penitration in Dublin and people are less likely to switch to a service that offers fewer channels and requires installation of antennae on the roof.

At least in areas like the southwest, many homes would already have UHF / wideband antanne already installed and would only have to plug in the settop box to benefit from the digital services.

It would also be a chance to challenge the dominance of the likes of Chorus MMDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Come on, it's a small miracle RTE made it beyond Dublin 4.

I guess the UK terrestrials will not be on the service, but if they were it would have appeal in cable and satellite land too.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think the UK terrestrials will need to be a "must carry" for the service to be of success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

TBA later this month by the IS Commissioner

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/5e75c80e-f3fd-11da-9dab-0000779e2340.html
    Ms Reding will outline her plan on June 28 as part of a sweeping review of the legal framework governing EU telecoms and communications. She believes reform could speed innovation by overcoming a fragmented approach in which bands of spectrum are reserved for one service only, such as TV or mobile telephones.

Ms Reding’s move could require countries to harmonise the band they allocate for certain services so that technology worked in all member states. This could prove a boon to manufacturers, who might have to produce fewer varities of each product for the EU market.

Countries such as the UK have taken an increasingly liberal approach to spectrum, with Ofcom, the British communications regulator, planning new licences to allow more flexible use of the airwaves.

The plan comes as member states consider what to do with the analogue spectrum freed up by the switch-over from analogue to digital TV broadcasting, which is due by 2012. This “digital dividend” could prove highly lucrative for treasuries across Europe.

Except that analogue TV in Ireland will not be switched off by 2012 ....will it Noel?? ....and therefore this digital dividend does not apply in Ireland , same as every other digital dividend that ever existed so far.

Even if the plan were workable it will be 'managed' , to coin a phrase, by Comreg in this country.

She may even announce something ambitious as part of the regulatory framework review, how about Functional Internet Access on a dial up line for everybody. That would be nice.....by 2012 .

Advertisement